Posts made by Emma Duke-Williams

students with visual, auditory or physical issues that need W3C accessible courses. I've been out of the loop for several years and learning disabilities may now be included in those standards

I
've an idea that the draft WCAG 2 does start to address them, but that's one of my problems with the w3 as they currently stand - it ignores what's by far and a way the biggest group -and, given that material that's written in clear language, with lots of supporting visual aids also helps students who are learning in a language that's not their first - it's a massive section of the student body - at least in the UK. I can't imagine other countries are that different.
Hi Claude,
yes, I remember you from the Digital Divide board.
Those Webaim simulations are good, aren't they? I tend to encourage all the students that I teach Web Design to to use, as many of them think "accessible = alt tags" and then stop.
I've not seen the Citation Machine - but I use Zotero for gathering references (it's a plugin for Firefox 2), though I've no idea how accessible it is.
I'm Emma Duke-Williams from POrtsmouth University in the UK. I'm now lecturing in the SChool of Computing, but have previously worked as a teacher in a College for students with learning & physical disabilities; many of whom had to use communication aids.

I'm interested in how IT can be used to support all learners - in particular those with Dyslexia.

The reason that I picked Deirdre's message to repy to was the fact that she's mentioned making online courses accessible & not having any disabled students registering. I'd be very surprised if you hadn't had students who had dyslexia, possibly undiagnosed, as it is so common - yet many of the standard guidelines don't address this need. In fact, quite often they seem to push designers away (I'm thinking, for example, of the fact that for a dyslexic user, a flash animation of how something works might well be a much better way of explaining it than text. I've found that some web designers, for fear of making anything inaccessible to the (really quite small) group of visually impaired users, often are wary of including media rich applications that can help a lot of users.

Emma

Hi Claude,
yes, I remember you from the Digital Divide board.
Those Webaim simulations are good, aren't they? I tend to encourage all the students that I teach Web Design to to use, as many of them think "accessible = alt tags" and then stop.
I've not seen the Citation Machine - but I use Zotero for gathering references (it's a plugin for Firefox 2), though I've no idea how accessible it is.
I'm Emma Duke-Williams from POrtsmouth University in the UK. I'm now lecturing in the SChool of Computing, but have previously worked as a teacher in a College for students with learning & physical disabilities; many of whom had to use communication aids.

I'm interested in how IT can be used to support all learners - in particular those with Dyslexia.

The reason that I picked Deirdre's message to repy to was the fact that she's mentioned making online courses accessible & not having any disabled students registering. I'd be very surprised if you hadn't had students who had dyslexia, possibly undiagnosed, as it is so common - yet many of the standard guidelines don't address this need. In fact, quite often they seem to push designers away (I'm thinking, for example, of the fact that for a dyslexic user, a flash animation of how something works might well be a much better way of explaining it than text. I've found that some web designers, for fear of making anything inaccessible to the (really quite small) group of visually impaired users, often are wary of including media rich applications that can help a lot of users.

Emma