Posts made by Emma Duke-Williams

Susanne, I had those problems & initially thought it was because I had no webcam - in my case, resetting my hardware firewall to be off (still had the software one running) solved the problems. (Well, not the fact my webcam & I were in different locations ... but the disconnections!)

Does it use an odd port, Sylvia?
Do we have to have a webcam to take part? I've got a nice new Mac Mini at home (but no webcam on it) & a very ancient laptop/webcam (that can have a camera attached, but looking at the minimum requirements it's going to struggle!)

Audio won't be a problem with the Mac, but the video could be - and can't stay late at work tonight to use the (slightly less ancient) webcam here! [Unless it works on a Linpus based Acer netbook?!]
Thanks for organising the session - unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the video, as I don't have a webcam at home that works with the Mac - and, having been away for 10 days, biking home via the shop (& thus having a full rucksack) was a higher priority than filling my rucksack with work laptop!

Next week, I'll try to be more organised.

I found it useful - and reassuring to see that even a set of seemingly people who're very au-fait with online video conferencing still took time to get going - makes me less worried about when I've done similar sessions with studnets & took most of the first session to make sure they all knew how to use the software, how to stop echo ( stop echo, stop echo )...

I was interested in the suggestion of trying to make the background look professional - while I agreed that the dark curtain did look professional - I also thought that Nellie's books etc, made her look academic. (Certainly in the UK, when they interview academics for news items etc., they always seem to seat them infront of a bookcase ... albeit it a much tidier one than most I see ... that said, Nellie's looked very organised!)

In this type of session, though, I wonder if we're taking on more of the 'learner' role -when I'd expect them to have all sorts of things in the background - I'd aim to do sessions like this at work if I were 'teacher' - when, granted I don't have a plain backdrop, but the online students do get to see me in the same office as they would if they were on campus.

I mentioned Flashmeeting as a video conferencing tool we'd used in the past - not got much beyond about 7 in a meeting, though it can go up to 20 I think. http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/home.html
I'd used another (not free, but not that expensive) one in the past, before we discovered Flashmeeting - but I can't remember what it was called.

Emma

Vance Stevens wrote,

For one thing, all of us are lurkers. I lurk a lot in this community, the SCoPE one. I'm active in other communities, where you wouldn't call me a lurker. In some communities I lurk, and then suddenly, I show that I've been listening with more attention than I'd been getting credit for. At such moments, I suddenly contribute, as do we all.

and then

Christine Horgan wrote,

What is participation? As an experienced lurker in SCoPE, I can say that I am still an active participant because I read every posting and I take on the role of a little sponge sucking up knowledge and ideas from more knowledgeable and experienced colleagues. If you count "thinking and reflecting time" then I'm very active.

I've mentioned before, in SCoPE I think, but maybe not, that many years ago, on an email list (non-work related, as it happens) a friend noted that where 'lurker' has negative connotations & thus people seem to want to reform them, 'listener' implies something much more active - as Christine wrote.

In this session, I've very much been a listener (speed listener, if that's possible!) due other commitment - & have found what I've had time to read, useful.