About CoroCall

About CoroCall

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 10
In case you have questions about CoroCall, the videoconferencing system we will be using in this seminar, or Coroware, the company that is hosting our live sessions, I thought I'd start a fresh thread. I found this YouTube video that does a nice job of demonstrating the CoroCall experience.
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: About CoroCall

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Do we have to have a webcam to take part? I've got a nice new Mac Mini at home (but no webcam on it) & a very ancient laptop/webcam (that can have a camera attached, but looking at the minimum requirements it's going to struggle!)

Audio won't be a problem with the Mac, but the video could be - and can't stay late at work tonight to use the (slightly less ancient) webcam here! [Unless it works on a Linpus based Acer netbook?!]
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Sylvia Currie -
Emma, video conferencing is definitely not the same without a camera! But it's technically possible to just listen and watch. It's neat the way this system works. There can be 8 active cameras on the screen at any given time, and when you use your voice it activates your camera so everyone sees you. In other words, screen presence is prioritized by the participants' activity level.

by Emma Duke-Williams -
I'll see what I can do, but not sure that I can get it all working at home. (mind you, it's raining here, so maybe staying late is more of an appealing choice. Don't want to get rained on!)

Emma

by Susanne Nyrop -
hello, just downloaded the Corocall software (as a latecomer, sorry), made instllation and settings: then I can see the blank (black) screen and it connected to my webcam, then system disconnect me again in a minute, same procedure for my next login. Wondering what went wrong?

yours, Sus (on an Intel mac with built in webcam)
In reply to Susanne Nyrop

by Sylvia Currie -
Hi Sus,
So sorry it didn't work out! As usual there are a few issues to work out. A few of us had bandwidth problems, and also had the same issue you described. When this system does work for everyone (access, audio, video, etc) it's fantastic!

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Susanne, I had those problems & initially thought it was because I had no webcam - in my case, resetting my hardware firewall to be off (still had the software one running) solved the problems. (Well, not the fact my webcam & I were in different locations ... but the disconnections!)

Does it use an odd port, Sylvia?

Re: About CoroCall - mystified by Vidyo desktop

by Susanne Nyrop -
I'm unhappy about the unwanted program named Vidyo desktop that appears to have been added to my startup program; I found out because I see my camera light when starting the computer; this is usually not the case.

I suppose that Vidyo is part of the CoroCall package - but really dislike it that way. Especially so because there was a recent case with teenage girls in Germany who had an unexpected video-out program running on their desktops, meaning they would transmit from their location without knowing. I consider that kind of intrusion very dubious; I mean, why would I start a video desktop sharing session, without making a decision to do so???

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Yes, I'd noticed that & wondered if I'd missed something on the install (Mac), so I stopped it running at start up.
From what I could tell, it seems to be like Skype wants to be - online in case you get called.

I agree with you that it's preferable to have control over what runs from start up - in this case it could be a privacy issue, in other cases it could be not wanting to overload ancient computers (I also don't like programmes that, when I'm using Windows, insist on putting a shortcut on the desktop. I don't like clutter there!)

by Sylvia Currie -
Yikes, that's a terrible story, Sus.

It is an unusual practice to have an application start up when you turn on the computer as the default. It would make more sense that clicking a vidyo room link would trigger the application to launch. In case you haven't found the way to turn that off:

- In your menu under VidyoDesktop choose 'configuration
- Select the 'options' button
- Click in the 'Auto Start' button

CoroCall demo

by Sylvia Currie -
I should mention that CoroCall welcomes requests for demos. Of the various platforms we've reviewed so far Vidyo is by far the best quality experience when the bandwidth and equipment requirements are met.

Just contact Martin:

Martin Harvey
MHarvey@coroware.com

+1 905.468.1533
http://www.coroware.com