Posts made by Jeffry Curtis

My name is Jeff Curtis and I am an instructor at Bellingham Technical College in Bellinghamm, WA.

I participated in the "Viral" session earlier this summer and have been lurking recently here.

My current PD is self directed since there really does not seem to be a real mechanism of support...that is why we're here, right?

I have read several books and white papers this summer. This has been one of the most helpful. http://tinyurl.com/5o5vxd

A search in ProQuest of "elearning" will also yield a fair amount of current work on the subject.

It is nice to be connected locally (geographically speaking) with learners looking for similar information.
I would like to thank Curt and Ke for the insight and most importantly examples in their book. I have only had time for a 2 hour scan, but there are many helpful strategies outlined.

Bolgs, wikis, LMS's and Elluminate products are exciting, but I am seeking more information on the professional technical (I prefer not to use the "voc" word) side of things. Strategies for this track would be similar to those used in the medical and scientific fields...those requiring the demonstration of hands on competence. It is a very different thing to write about brain surgery than it is to perform that operation; and perform it successfully (is 95% competency 'good enough'?). How do we do some of these via e-learning? How do we assess this work?

Specific examples in this area have eluded my search and I would be grateful for referrals, if they exist.
IMHO this is our obstacle. Almost 40 years ago I read this and things are the same as they have always been. And will continue to be. (~!|

"There is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, than to initiate a new order of things. For the reformer has enemies in all of those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who would profit by the new order, this lukewarmness arising partly from fear of their adversaries - and partly from the incredulity of mankind, who do not truly believe in anything new until they have actual experience of it."

Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli, The Prince