Discussions started by Peter Rawsthorne

Task 1: Describe the merit badge

1. Identify a merit badge you earned during your lifetime.
What did you have to do to earn it? Did you earn more than one badge? And were they awarded by the same organization?

2. Describe how you displayed the merit badge(s).
If you earned more than one badge, did you display them together? Did you display badges from different organizations together?

The official start date for this seminar series is December 1st. So starting tomorrow I will be posting a discussion thread describing a TASK. This task will ask a number of questions with the hope it will kick off a personal and collaborative inquiry. I am hoping this task driven approach will drive and focusĀ  the learning over the next two weeks. The task will be posted in the AM PST, with the hope people will contribute during the day, and create a healthy dicussion. I will post my views in the PM PST and the next day we will move into another task. I will do my best to stay to this pattern, yet I will be flexible so not to disrupt other fruitful discussion. I'm open to suggestions, so please speak up if you have other approaches...

Welcome to An introduction to Digital Badges.

Please introduce yourself by providing;

1. your name,
  2. your self assessed understanding of digital badges
  3. your interest in digital badges (within HE, within peer learning, self directed or other)
  4. The city and country where you currently live
  5. other thoughts you feel important

Your introduction plus a couple of discussion thread contributions will earn you a Learner badge for this seminar series. We have a couple of other badges that can be earned, please read the related discussion thread in this forum.

please contribute, it will deepen your learning.

I'm glad you are here... be well,..

Peter

What do people think of this a s a set of badges for this seminar series?

1. Learner badge - person introduces themselves to the group via the discussion forum and contributes to a couple of discussion threads. Mostly, they could be considered lurkers (much can be learned through lurking)
  2. Participant badge - person introduces themselves to the group via the discussion forum and actively contributes to 7 of the 12 primary discussion threads, also participates in one of the two lunch-and-learn sessions.
  3. Contributor badge- does everything the participant does with the addition of contributing;
    • by designing badge images
    • creating a badge system design for another curriculum
    • blogs about their participation in this seminar series
    • other creative endeavours regarding digital badges

http://criticaltechnology.blogspot.ca/2012/11/a-simple-three-badge-system-design.html