Posts made by Sue Wolff

Our first week introduced a dozen people using the Voice Thread, and another dozen or so (with some overlap) in the discussion threads. 63 people have responded to the survey so far, with overlap there too.

I want to post more of the results of the survey on the discussion wiki for those curious to make their own conclusions, but to kick off Week Two, I have started with the responses to Question 3 of the survey which asked, "What communities/networks do you participate in at the same time? If you can, list the platforms and services used to support participation in these communities/networks."

I've started some new topics, but feel free to add others
  • " Multimembership Tips, tools, and techniques" where perhaps we can start to summarize from the stories and posts so far while continuing to collect ideas from people joining the discussion this week.
  • "Multimembership Practices", to explore what we do and where we learn, and
  • "Preferences, Pull or Push"

Sylvia, I agree that strategies are falling into these overarching strategies.

I have annotated all posts through the end of week 1 using the handy dandy Marginalia feature here in SCoPE. Wonder if it would it would help us summarize the contributions to tips for multimembership if we were to try and sort my categories into these themes.

I think we need a little post on Marginalia. would you be willing to start another thread entitled (SCoPE notation tool help) and then type out those four or five steps you IM'd me the other night?

Wow Sylvia! That's a great list of techniques using Gmail as a strategy for aggregation. I do a lot of the same things, especially as you do, for the groups I am facilitating. I am going to go through and think whether any of the things on your list will really help me to better ensure I attend to the things I have already prioritized, and then to create a system for getting my attention again for action. Since I am in my email the most frequently all day, it is the best place for me to organize.

Sue's multimembership priority pyramid

Our discussion is already generating a strong multimembership theme around time management. Karen Baker introduced the question, "What advice or strategies do you have or use to maximize your involvement in multiple online social networks in the most time and cost-efficient way?"

average time in social networks ea week x5

This image was made with Wordle and reflects some data that shows most people who took our survey spend 10-30 minutes per week on the networks and groups they listed, but what is not captured in this image is the fact that over half of participants listed at least 5 networks with this much participation!

Let's focus some discussion on the time and cost efficient strategies and also those that help you to be attentive and active in your networks/communities.

Hello and welcome to our seminar!

I am Sue Wolff, from Seattle, Washington. I am just beginning a new job in higher education specializing in curriculum and faculty development, but before that was consulting with nonprofit directors and educators on using technology to advance the mission of their organizations.

My entry point for this seminar was the Facilitating Online Communities course (FOC08) offered through Otago Polytechnic in New Zealand, facilitated by Leigh Blackhall. Multi-membership is a core facet of my professional life. I practically live online and belong to more networks, groups, lists, and social communities than I can even think of at one time. Immersing myself is the way I learn how people are struggling, surviving, innovating, learning, and growing with web-based resources.

I will be facilitating the discussion threads here as we collect stories and explore strategies for managing our memberships in so many online groups, networks and communities.

To begin:

• Listen and try to leave a comment on the Voice Thread. What helps you navigate and cope? We want details!
  • Reply to this discussion thread with a short intro. Tell us where you heard about this seminar and what drew you. If you are dropping by in the second week, include this information the first time you post, wherever that is.

Nov 1-8:

• We will post the survey responses and summaries of the stories and tips collected from the Voice Thread on the SCoPE wiki. I will try to summarize and link to them too.
  • Start a new thread anytime. What are we learning about the ways people cope with multimembership?