Posts made by Christine Horgan

Hello:

To respond to Nancy's question:

"Why are you participating in this seminar?"

I'm participating because...

-I'd like to understand a lot more about on-line learning from "experts"

-I'd like to explore on-line learning "issues" from three viewpoints: learner, facilitator, instructional designer.

-I have an opportunity to take care of my professional development needs.

Who am I? I am the Curriculum Co-ordinator in a large service department in a Canadian technical college (SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Alberta).

As we are designing or updating courses, we are developing for blended and fully on-line delivery. My interest is connected to how I--as curriculum co-ordinator/project manager--help SMEs and instructional designers meet the needs of our learners and facilitators (on-line instructors).

I hope to be an active participant; however, I expect I'll end up being an active lurker instead.

Looking forward to the discussion.

Cheers, Christine (Chris) Horgan

Hello:

I have asked our library to purchase the textbook as it looks as though it will have value to others in my organization, which means I may not have access to the textbook until long after this conference ends.

So, I'll wade in with a question. Curt & Ke, if my question is taking the conference in an unplanned direction, you have my permission to rein me in.

I'm looking at Curt and Ke's colourful diagram (circular model of R2D2) and realize it and the Learning Cycle (motivate, comprehend, practice, and apply) may hold the key to the question(s) I'm struggling to articulate this morning (but I have yet to have my morning cup of coffee).

Not very articulate, but here goes:

- can anyone pass along any wisdom around how we encourage Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to stretch beyond the cookie-cutter model for on-line course design/development that seems to have become an accepted standard?

- are there a couple of small, manageable, tried-and-true activities (beyond threaded discussions, read-and-report-back, animated objects/examples, etc.) that can add value to the course for learner and facilitator?

Thanks, Chris Horgan

Hello:

Christine (Chris) Horgan. Curriculum Co-ordinator in a large, service department at SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Alberta.

Most of my professional Development is in-house (designed, developed, delivered by SAIT) in a F2F environment. Presently, I'm completing a credential (through a competing institution!) F2F. I don't often have time to take in conferences, but when I do (other than the SCoPE conferences), they are always F2F.

All work well if I have/can make the time to take care of my own professional development needs. Dedicated time out of the office (F2F) works...but, as we all know, the work is waiting for us when we return. On-line, for me, requires a commitment. When I'm busy at work, I often have to put aside the on-line participation in conferencing to the point, sometimes, when I'm so far out behind that there's little point entering the conversation. I'm preaching to the converted, I expect.

Cheers, Chris