Posts made by Tara Vanderveer

Hi Naz!

Thank you for trying out RubiStar! The final product looks great. Would you recommend/use RubiStar again? 

I like the Rubric very much and think it leaves JUST ENOUGH wiggle room for a student evaluator to also use some reflection and judgement, as opposed to just checking off a checklist. 

QUESTION - To anyone - Does anyone have a rubric for assessing feedback of learners?

Looks great Doug! 

I think a wholistic approach is perfect for this type of assessment. I also love the Badge system. I SO want to start a badge system for Anatomy and Physiology...even just to design the stickers for each system! But beyond the fun of it, badges are a great way to get at the intangible components of competencies like effort and professionalism.

One note - you have misspelled spelling! Students will be WAY too happy to point that out to you... :)

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Janna!

Thanks for posting early :)

Here are some points that stand out to me

GREAT:

I love Innovative, developing and missing. These terms mean something novel to learners and allow for that "je ne said quoi"/subjectivity that is required of some assignments by the nature of the work (as opposed to does not meet, meets, exceeds).

Simple, easy to follow.

TO CONSIDER:

- listing a number for things makes it very check-listy and does not speak to the quality of those items. For example, 3 references. Are they peer-reviewed? Are they appropriate? Are they well-integrated? A student could quickly argue based on what is there that I have 3 references, they are wikipedia, John Oliver's Show and WebMD, but I have 3!

Maybe something like: Sources are appropriate in quality and number and well-incorporated to support learner work. Or something? I think there is a bit of a rabbit hole too because learners could ask "what is appropriate"..but I would probably respond, we discussed it in class. :) YAY RUBRICS!

- I would add a column for feedback