Discussions started by Bettina Boyle

Hi Nancy and Sue,

Similarly to Sue, I decided to try an online asynchronous online activity. It can feel limiting to not include synchronous, but it's the reality of many of our online courses at CapU, so I want to keep finding ways to support faculty within that format.

Scenario

Course in Organizational Behaviour (OB) taught online (asynchronously) in the Legal Admin Assistant program. A required course at the 100-level. May be their first experience in post-secondary, and their first online course.

The activity would happen during the first week of the course, and would follow some icebreaker/intro/community building activities.

Purpose

To clarify the purpose of our work together during the term (the big why of the course) by creating personal and shared connections to the field of OB.

Liberating Structure

Nine Whys

Draft Invitation

After reading the first chapter of the book, you will have an idea of some of the main concepts and purposes of OB. Given what you know so far, we want you to think about why OB might matter to YOU by answering the question:

How does OB relate to you/your work/life? And why is it important? [alternatively, How does learning about OB help you in your own life/career?]

How (the following is essentially the activity instructions in Moodle)

In order to get to what really matters, we are using a technique called the Nine Whys. Please follow the instructions below:

By Tuesday:

1. Write one paragraph answering the question: How does OB relate to your work/life?
  2. Once you have your paragraph, ask yourself: Why is this important to me?
  3. Continue to ask yourself this question nine times (Why is this important to me?) and record your answer each time (nine times, just keep going!). Dig deeper, and keep answering from as many angles as you can think of.
  4. Post your answers (your paragraphs and nine whys) in your group’s forum

By Wednesday:

5. Reply to one group member’s post (someone who doesn’t yet have a reply), commenting on commonalities or insights based on your own and your group member’s nine whys.

Thursday-Friday:

6.  As a group, create a story using only 6 words (6-word story) that summarizes your insights and shared connection to the field of OB.  Add your story to this Padlet[link] (due end of day Friday). You may work with your group in any way you prefer (use the forum, live chat, google docs…)

Post-activity:

1. Facilitator/instructor summarizes insights from all groups on a Padlet (model this practice so that students might do this later in the course)
  2. Students reflect in personal learning journals: How do your insights from this activity influence how you approach this course. What is one or two goals you want to set for yourself for this course? How will you make sure you stay true to what’s important to you?

Questions I’m pondering:

• How easy to follow are these instructions? 
  • I think I may need to visualize the nine whys – maybe even provide a “worksheet”
  • I’m considering using FlipGrid (video dialogue tool) for the individual student submissions. This may work well for some and not for others. Perhaps I give them the option to choose.

Hi everyone,

I'm Bettina Boyle, Faculty and Educational Developer at Capilano University, North Vancouver. This year, I coordinated a Liberating Structures Practice group at CapU (with the great start-up help from Leva!) and I'm always excited to play with and continue to find meaningful ways to engage everyone with liberating structures in different context and with different people.

Big Question:

How may liberating structures support us in creating more meaningful and engaging online learning experiences? 

Give and Gets:

Gives: Experience facilitating liberating structures in the post-secondary context (with students and faculty). Experience designing and facilitating online (although not previously explicitly with Liberating Structures)

Gets: I'm curious about ideas for design, prompts, tools etc. in the online context that make the experience as "easy" and playful as in person.

Hi everybody,

My name is Bettina Boyle. I live North Vancouver - a short commute to Capilano University where I work. North Vancouver is on the traditional land of the Squamish, Musqueam and Tsleil-Waututh people.

I'm excited for another FLO MicroCourse. I love the practical short format and I am looking forward to learning with and from all of you on this topic of acknowledging traditional Indigenous Lands. 

Fun fact: I have two middle names I rarely use: Helth and Arnum

Helth means "hero" in Danish. It was originally a last name on my mom's side of the family and since became a middle name when my great grandma didn't want to give it up when she got married. Since then, all the women in the family have (and some boys and men) have had it as a middle name. I've passed in on to my own two daughters as well.

Arnum is the name of a tiny town in Denmark where my great great (great) grandparents on my dad's side lived as farmers.  See image below and click on it for details. And yes, Arnum was my last name before I got married :-)

Arnum, Denmark

It's Day 5, the home stretch of the course! We, the facilitators, are just amazed at what 5 days have brought. You are truly an incredible bunch of people!

home base

Here is what to do today:

1. Post revisions to your rubric based on the feedback you received - many of you have done this already! This could also be a more reflective post based on what you have learned or are taking away with you
  2. Continue the conversations with each other and look for connections (i.e. who else is doing something on "peer feedback"? who else is in nursing? etc.)
  3. Look for an email in your inbox with the called “Invitation to provide feedback” and complete the course evaluation (the email was sent Wednesday)

You may also want to check out this discussion and video posted by Christina, looking at rubrics from a student perspective!

Happy home stretch Friday,

Bettina

We’re on Day 3 and there’s lots of activity happening in the course: Research, creating, sharing, lights going on!

light

Four of you have shared your rubrics and questions in the Sharing & Feedback Forum already, which is great! Karen got us started with a rubric for a reflective essay assignment and we’ve got analytical and single point rubrics from Christina, Leonne and Janna.

The suggested time frame is for all of you to share your rubric by the end of the day today. The earlier the better, as it allows more time for people to comment and offer feedback.

And if you’re hesitating to post because what you’ve got is not “finished” – don’t hesitate! Everyone who’s shared so far has several questions and are posting drafts. So, post what you have and seek input from your peers!

Lastly, be sure to also check out the lively conversation in the Q&A forum on The Single Point Rubric initiated by Tara. Some great input and resources – and it sounds like several of you are inspired to try out the Single Point Rubric for this course.

Keep it rolling!

Bettina