Helping students understand rubrics

Helping students understand rubrics

by Christina Page -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone,

In my role, one of the things I often find myself doing is helping students know how to understand rubrics in order to support their own work (and their own metacognitive skills development). I've developed a short video that I sometimes use, and would love feedback on else might be helpful from the student-side of things. 

Would you use a video like this? What else would be helpful to students in the courses you teach?

Play Video

In reply to Christina Page

Re: Helping students understand rubrics

by Sylvia Currie -

Oopsie, something happened with the video, Christina. Is it available online somewhere? It might be better to post a link rather than upload or embed the file. 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Christina Page -

Sorry about that!  It was showing as posted on my computer.  The video seems to disappear whenever I post it as either a link or video on this form. 

Please click and copy the following into your browser to see the video: https://youtu.be/o3azI54uQmE

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Christina

by Leonne Beebe -

Christina,

Thank you for the video link. I watched your video, and it really made me think about how rubrics are used.  Sometimes, I think teachers think  rubrics are their tool when, in fact, they are also useful for students to use.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

by Karen Liska -

This is really awesome! May I please share this video with some of my other faculty and students? 

In reply to Karen Liska

by Christina Page -

Absolutely - please do!

by Sylvia Currie -

Oh good about sharing because I immediately posted the link on twitter! In general, I'd like to see more resources like this that offer learners the how-to but also the WHY for what we're asking of them. This video is really great!

Appreciate the learner-centred perspective

by Sylvia Riessner -

As Leonne mentioned, I appreciated your emphasis on the rubric as a tool that benefits students.

Your Powtoon is easy to follow, clearly spoken and adds an additional level by suggesting they self-evaluate before handing in an assignment and then cross-check the similarities and differences when they received their marked assignment back. What a great way to have a really in-depth conversation with your instructor; as an instructor I would have found that so energizing.

Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia

by Doug Strable -

Hello Christina,

Wow! or as my nephew would say, Awesome!  The video is very interesting and held my attention. 

I am a big fan of using video to explain concepts, especially in classes with international students. Thank you for ensuring the subtitles are included. Subtitles are a thoughtful necessity these days when people are using their mobile devices and for ESL students who often have more developed reading skills. 

During this week I was thinking about the importance of explaining rubrics to students so your posting and video is very timely. 

I would definitely use this video - it is very interesting. While I agree that a simple way to explain a Rubric is a checklist, I tend to explain a rubric to students in Japan as the goal. 

Thank you for sharing this - 

Doug 

by Mark Wilson -

Hi Christina

As an adult student, I love your explanations of the many ways students can use rubrics. It has never occurred to me to use a rubric as I'm editing an assignment before submission. 

I was at this year's BC Festival of Learning and looked forward to participating in this FLO microcourse. I appreciate it being open to all and, as an intern Learning Designer\Technolgist at an institution moving online, will recommend all the FLO trainings to the faculty I'm working with. 

Best Regards

Mark

by Janna van Kessel -

Hi Christina,

Thank you for sharing this amazing video and for giving us the permission to share as well. Your video is a wonderful reminder that rubrics are a good tool for students. I am also very interested in the PowToon tool that you used to develop this tool as we are looking at starting to use videos for student tools at our support centre. Would you mind if we chatted further about this (and other) that you recommend in a couple of weeks?

thanks again for sharing!

Janna