Posts made by Beth Cougler Blom

Exactly what I was thinking about Moodle's Q&A forum type. Then you won't get the "but somebody already said what I was going to say and there was nothing left to say" type of response.

P.S. Where do I sign up for this ahhh-maaa-zzzing course?

Hillarie I like where you're going with the team process activity to talk about strengths.

I wonder if the second part of the task might lead to more "individual posts of reply" rather than "discussion". Would you like to ignite discussion in Part 2 as well? Others might have some ideas to assist in reframing this, if that's where you're heading.

Good morning all and welcome to Day 2!

Well, we've had some great comments going into our Open Forum so far about discussion prompts that might cause a lackluster response in students. I'm getting the picture from your ideas that discussion prompts might not be effective if they are too:

• boring and predictable (E.g. "Make a post and respond to two others' posts.)
  • vague and general
  • creepy and mechanical
  • obvious - when everyone already knows the answer
  • insistent on making a lot of APA citations and links to research
We've also had some feedback on the effectiveness our prompt (way to help us keep thinking about this!) and some additional questions in and around the making of discussion prompts (keep 'em coming!).

Today starts your Creation Phase (see Activity Packet for more details) which means it's time to start creating your first draft of your discussion post to share with us tomorrow. We look forward to what you have to share.

Beth and Sylvia

Sylvia you have hit a nail on a head for me, that in adding in these community building activities into our courses, we are creating opportunities for the making of connections. We may not be able to make a horse drink, but we can lead them to that water!

I love that you made this activity your own, what a creative tree you have created! I didn't know this was even possible in Spark; looks like I have to go explore that tool more.

There has got to be a tool out there that could help connect trees of various people, if the leaves/branches were the same...

Thanks for trying this!

Colleen this was wonderful to see! Thank you for trying this. It really was interesting reading your tree. I really like the idea of inviting adding leaves to others' trees. I think we can collaborate in Coggle so this is probably possible with that tool. (SylviaR, we built a collaborative one together, right?)

After looking at yours I feel like I want to go back to mine and add more branches into mine, so yes, I can see how fun and useful it might be to keep our trees growing.

Thanks again for trying it out!