Posts made by Laura Proctor

What do we mean by "boundaries"? and is that different than what we mean by "barriers"?

After thinking about this question, I looked up the words in a couple of dictionaries and thought about how I would decide to use one word or the other in various contexts. What struck me as similar about the meanings of these words is that they both refer to separation between things. There is an "inside" and an "outside" implied in most uses of both of these words. Using the word "barrier" seems to shift my focus to externally imposed obstacles whereas using the word "boundary" focuses more on limitations imposed from within. Is this a contrast you share? Do you think it is useful in this discussion of "learning on the edge"?

What are your thoughts?

Welcome everyone to this SCOPE seminar where we will have a conversation about the topic of boundaries and moving beyond them in our use of technology for learning and teaching. The B.C. Educational Technology User Group (ETUG) Fall 2008 workshop attended by individuals from every post-secondary institution in British Columbia last week was organized around the topic "Learning on the Edge: exploring our boundaries". That forms the context for my approach to starting this conversation and I will share with you some of the perspectives and information that I took away from that gathering in the "ETUG Fall Workshop reflections".

On a personal note, this is my first experience hosting an online discussion and I would appreciate all and any feedback you can offer me. I will start a couple of threads to get us started. The workshop reflections thread mentioned above and threads for the questions I posed before attending the workshop. I look forward to your perspectives and new directions as I "learn on the edge" in real time.
Good afternoon everyone!

I work at the University of Victoria helping support both technologies and instructors' use of those technologies from within the computing centre.

I like reading manuals(!) and appreciate being able to find them online these days. Following blogs and newsletters online has been a main stay in my own professional development and have been particularly useful in identifying the directions to develop. I have also discovered "webcasts" and online conferences to be very useful - both in learning about the content of the presentation and also learning how to interact online (I am not a digital native but trying to keep up!)

In supporting pro-d for others, my experience has been that f2f and/or email mentoring has been an effective way to supplement formally scheduled workshops which seem useful to get people started, but are not so useful for more "advanced" topics. And always, having online resources which can be used as ongoing resources is effective in empowering those willing to invest the time and effort.

Looking forward to exploring this topic.

Laura

Hello, everyone.
  My name is Laura Proctor and I am part of Learning Systems at the University of Victoria and am interested in understanding Active Learning to better understand how new media and technologies can support that approach.
  My participation, which will hopefully be more active this coming week, is also an act of "active learning" -- my goal is to improve my own ability to collaborate online and to better understand how to help others do so.