Posts made by Diana Chan

In my faculty, all the courses are curved, so it must follow a bell curve under the Business Faculty requirements. 10% of the class fail, 10% get A's.

Since I take mostly business courses, I find most of the professors are more focused on theory and not too much on the application of theories into the real world, when it really should be to prepare us for the working world.

So, how can teachers reduce the chances of poor marks associated with poor teaching/teachers? I think it has to lead back to passion and dedication. Perhaps thats the root case? After 10 years .. 20 years of teaching, I am sure some professors just lose interest from the vary groups of students that pass through their class. If teachers were more passionate and dedicated, they would prepare ahead of time or make some new fun projects.

One thing I am really curious about is if professors need to teach and do research for the University, what do they view as more important?
From the students side, I don't think we fully understand that professors are real people too.

We see them in a more professional standing, someone that we can look up to, but when they don't meet our expectations of professionalism for that position, thats when we start complaining.

From a professors point of view, I am sure they have the same problems with students...not paying attention, chatting, walking in late... etc etc. I am sure there is a long list for that as well.

Out of my 30 or so professors, I have only really loved 2 classes. This was because I enjoyed the subject, the professors were really nice and engaging , and also really excited about the subject.

I did have my share of great professors but for subjects I hated. I know a few of my friend take their test results and personify them as their view of the professor. If they get a bad mark, they assume the professor hates them. Some students are be very childish.
For your Googledocs problems, there is a function so yo can track back changes and see who made those specific changes. You can also restore previous versions as well.

http://www.penn-olson.com/2009/08/01/5-google-docs-surprises/

There are other cool items you can do with googledocs as well.
Definitely agree with you that its hard to have a central place for all course work.

It seems quite possible that someone could create an app for course work, but at the same time, not everyone has a smart phone or have a phone at all. Very intriguing idea, but perhaps educators could experiment depending on their class.

Social media is still quite young in my opinion, so anything is really possible.
Do you ever find funding an issue when implementing new VLE to suit students needs? or perhaps Institutional policies hinder you from changing the VLE?

I remember for a few computing courses I took, the programs seemed very outdated and I really did not understand why the school was teaching us programming with severely outdated software. I just assumed it was due to lack of funding and the instructors inability to change their course curriculum.

I'm very interested to hear what other think about this. Perhaps it is a misconception?