Student feedback to faculty

Student feedback to faculty

by Alice Cassidy -
Number of replies: 5
I have just joined this forum, so forgive me if this post does not quite connect to the main topic. I joined in because I have worked with students for many years, both in teaching credit courses, and in leading workshops for professors and others who teach at the university level.

It was the 'student perspective' aspect of this forum that attracted me to check it out. Not sure if any of you are on the POD (professional and organizational development) listserv, but a recent post I found, from Kevin Johnston of Michigan State University (MSU) quite interesting and certainly connects to the student perspective is this; several connect to the use of technology, but many are basic things. Interesting?

MSU Teaching Thoughts #10 "What Undergraduates Say are the Most Irritating Faculty Behaviors"

This short MSU Teaching Thought contains views culled from about 50 surveys in which students (mostly freshman and sophomores) commented on what they thought was the most irritating faculty behavior. Ask your students what they think. See if they match any of these. (Except when I have noted, these are in no particular order. When starred, “*”, indicates more than 20% mentioned this as a trait.)

According to the surveys, irritating faculty/TAs
1. Show up late for class. *
2. Are unprepared to teach that day.
3. Seem unorganized.
4. Ask too many personal questions.
5. Inadequately explain difficult problems or concepts.
6. Don’t control the class.
7. Don’t show up for office hours. *
8. Make students feel stupid (“Put down,” ”Inferior” ”Dumb” “Lack of respect”). *
9. Assign busy work.
10. Write on the board but block the information. (Also, talk to the board). *
11. (TAs) act like they know more than the faculty.
12. Lecture too quickly.
13. Don’t talk loud enough or in a monotone.
14. Don’t get to know students. *
15. Teach directly from outlines/notes.
16. Start classes early and end it late.
17. Assign work that is never graded.
18. Don’t prepare students well for exams.
19. Require on-line readings of more than 20 pages (printing is costly).
20. Don’t respond to e-mails.
21. Don’t understand you have work from other classes.
22. Don’t follow the syllabus. *
23. Allow the class to get behind then “speed up” the last few weeks of class.
24. Writes on the board (or overheads) in very small handwriting.
25. Assume students know more than they do.

MSU Teaching Thoughts
 http://tap.msu.edu/teachingthoughts/
In reply to Alice Cassidy

Re: Student feedback to faculty

by Judy Southwell -

Thanks for your post, Alice.  There is probably correlation between the points you list and the following--just stated differently--and a useful reminder of how students prefer to learn and interact. 

Memorial University of Newfoundland students were surveyed in winter 2008 and asked to provide their perceptions of effective teaching for both on-campus and distance instruction.  Responses were distilled to these predominant themes.

On-campus:

1. Respectful
  2. Knowledgeable
  3. Approachable
  4. Engaging
  5. Communicative
  6. Organized
  7. Responsive
  8. Professional
  9. Humorous

Distance modes:

1. Respectful
  2. Responsive
  3. Knowledgeable
  4. Approachable
  5. Communicative
  6. Organized
  7. Engaging
  8. Professional
  9. Humorous

Delaney, J., Johnson, A., Johnson, T., and Treslan, D. (2009).  Students' Perceptions of Effective Teaching in Higher Education.  Retrieved from http://www.mun.ca/educ/faculty/mwatch/laura_treslan_SPETHE_Paper.pdf on May 3, 2011.

In reply to Judy Southwell

by Alice Cassidy -
Thanks Judy. This is a great list, one that I think teachers ought to review every time they are about to start a new course, and even share with students in some way. It is very interesting how many of the attributes are in common for distance and face to face.

Thanks too for the reference you provided. I will be able to find ways to cite this in some of my other work, for sure!

Alice

by Diana Chan -
From the students side, I don't think we fully understand that professors are real people too.

We see them in a more professional standing, someone that we can look up to, but when they don't meet our expectations of professionalism for that position, thats when we start complaining.

From a professors point of view, I am sure they have the same problems with students...not paying attention, chatting, walking in late... etc etc. I am sure there is a long list for that as well.

Out of my 30 or so professors, I have only really loved 2 classes. This was because I enjoyed the subject, the professors were really nice and engaging , and also really excited about the subject.

I did have my share of great professors but for subjects I hated. I know a few of my friend take their test results and personify them as their view of the professor. If they get a bad mark, they assume the professor hates them. Some students are be very childish.
In reply to Diana Chan

by Alice Cassidy -
Thanks for your thoughtful (and honest) contribution, Diana. I think it is great to have a session like this facilitated/moderated by undergrads, such as you and Hilda.

There is not enough communication between students and faculty, I feel. I think the same thing could be said about faculty as you say in your first line, Diana: that many faculty don't fully understand that students are real people too, and have real lives, challenges and lots of other things to do outside of their class!

My question to you and Hilda is: what can teachers do to reduce the chance that a poor mark is associated with poor teachers or teaching? (of course it may be true sometimes!)

Alice

by Diana Chan -
In my faculty, all the courses are curved, so it must follow a bell curve under the Business Faculty requirements. 10% of the class fail, 10% get A's.

Since I take mostly business courses, I find most of the professors are more focused on theory and not too much on the application of theories into the real world, when it really should be to prepare us for the working world.

So, how can teachers reduce the chances of poor marks associated with poor teaching/teachers? I think it has to lead back to passion and dedication. Perhaps thats the root case? After 10 years .. 20 years of teaching, I am sure some professors just lose interest from the vary groups of students that pass through their class. If teachers were more passionate and dedicated, they would prepare ahead of time or make some new fun projects.

One thing I am really curious about is if professors need to teach and do research for the University, what do they view as more important?