Posts made by Francisco Reis

That is very kind (and brave) of you to say that!

The technologies I use, WebGL and secure WebSockets, will only be available in next generation browsers so using the Alpha/Beta versions is sometimes frustrating. In www.umniverse.com the target next is set for July hoping the technologies have stabilized by then.

Thanks for your courage for it will be an extra motivation for me.
I'm also interested in that group in SecondLife.

I'm developing a virtual world and my use cases are in health and mainly in education. I would like to feel what REALLY is important that a VR supports so that learning practices can be productive.

For instance, I'm currently developing the FORUM object and intend to add soome features that I see would help in LAK11 (like tagging Forum entries as "personal" so they can be filtered out...).

When shall we meet in SL?
Of course, Peter, there are many diffent situations and no rule.
But my experience is that even in traditional higher education you have students doing internships in companies whose work has to be kept secret (my students are from software engineering). All goes well not even involving lawyers!

Joining this with John Fritz post on students being the ones to act on their own data I think all makes even more sense: we learn our way with our personal and/or professional data and interests and we share just what we want.

Is this utopia? I do think in many cases we can achieve it.
Last John's message is for me the best contribution until now!
As a Software Engineer I like solutions that solve many problems at once (like TFT vs Cathode tube).

Having students act on their own data answers positively to many questions:
1) The question of data privacy!
2) The question of large classes or MOOC (facilitators just can't help everyone even with great tools).
3) The quastion of student reponsibilisation/empowerment (they have to be the ones to make an effort).
4) The question of tools choice (more or less integrated)for students will tend to opt and lobby their peers for the ones that give them better visibility, control and motivation.

There are certainly problems that it solves and I do not see for the moment problems that it arises.

Thanks a lot for your insights in that "long" reply, John.