Posts made by Heather Ross

Welcome Jo Ann.

The seminar runs until June 22 officially. You can continue to read the discussion boards for as long as you would like after that.

I think that you may end up adding more to this session that you think. Your comment about "I am learning when and where I can" rings true for a lot of people these days.

Jump into the conversation whenever you feel comfortable.
Welcome to the seminar on Viral Professional Development (VPD). Before we delve into VPD itself, we would like to know a bit about each of you.

Where do you work and what is your position there?

Through what methods do you receive / take part in professional development?

What methods are working and which ones aren't?

We hope that you enjoy this seminar and come away with some new ideas about your own professional development, that of your coworkers and those you may deliver training to.

Welcome.
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems to be as good a place as any. There was an interesting article in the Guardian a few days ago related to how learners feel about social networking sites being used in education. I think that it fits in with this seminar very well.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/link/story/0,,2202291,00.html
Hello all. I'm an instructional designer with the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST).

When possible, I make use of social networking tools in the courses that I work on as I am a firm believer in the benefits of learners learning from each other.

I don't believe that social networking tool and sites are nothing but warm and fuzzy (many issues related to privacy, bullying, access, etc.), but it is exciting to see some of the ways that educators and informal learning communities are making use of them.