Posts made by Jenny Mackness

And here is your footprint, Jaap, side-by-side with Lisa's i.e. her designer perspective and your participant perspective.

POTCert designer participant footprint

To me the footprints look quite similar in many respects - but there are some differences. Do you have any comments about this Jaap, Lisa?

Hi Jaap - I was not able to open your link and surprisingly, for some reason I can't understand, when I go to your blog, I can't see your footprint - BUT - I do subscribe to your blog through feedly and (even more surprisingly) I can see your footprint and post in my feedly list. Strange!

So hope it's OK with you if I copy your post here - so that people can easily see it.

Jaap's footprint POTCert

My footprint of Potcert

• Risk. No risk.
  • Liminal space. For me lots of space to grow and try out. This certificate would be nice, but its not disaster when I fail. Knowing that means freedom and lots of space.
  • Unpredictable outcomes. Some unpredictable  outcomes.
  • Ambiguity. I could bend items in the course into lessons that fit me.
  • Disruption. the course and messages from Lisa and participants are disrupting. They want me to give attention.
  • Self-correction. Learner and teacher look at my assignments and comment, no correction as such.
  • Multipath. Participants do publish and ask questions and make me learn. I could choose where to go.
  • Diversity. multi path gives a lot of diversity, jumping from one question or assignement to another, but within the limits of the course.
  • Experimential: not only my answers and new solutions, but participants share theirs too. Course wants me to try new tools and new ways. I do use new tools.
  • Adaptive: freedom to adapt parts of course. (video viewing is not very open to adaption, one could view or view not. scanning a video is not easy)
  • Co-evolution: I feel the course will grow with me. The assignments  are open and one could do them in ones own level. Interactions, the comments on thew blogs are ways of interaction, and some assignments too.
  • Trust: OK. Feel some low trust because of the certification and the scoring that goes with certification. But Lisa is very supportive.
  • Theory of mind: I do meet new people from new cultures. and that sharpens my ToM.
  • Agency: I can make my personal chosen way through the course within the limits of the course.
  • Cross-modal. online course, FB, email, websites, video voicethread etc. rich on modes.
  • Open affordances: lots of open possibilities to learn. Course sets some limits
  • Self organization. must organize my part. course is structured and that makes lesser need for self-organization
  • Autonomy: almost as much as when i did a personal study, (no class, no school, no teacher no course), but it is a certifies course.
  • Negotiated outcomes: within the limits of the course outcomes some freedom of interpretation is possible.
  • Identity: course is part of personal learning network and adds personal growth.
  • Solitude: It is up to me to look for solitude. online courses give room for this factor. POTcert seems to like me to connect and be busy.
  • Encounters: doing POTcert made me meet some  people. No discussions as in #Change11 or other moocs.
  • Networks. I did not paricipate in hangouts and synchronous events. (Due to time zones)
  • Hybrid modes of expression: it is possible to choose from a wide range of modes.
  • In/formal Most writing and communications are more informal than formal . 

Tony - it is really great to have your footprint. Many thanks for sharing it. I have posted it here for everyone to see without opening the document and I am also copying here the comment you sent me.

Tony Cairns'Footprint

In an email I asked Tony these questions:

1. Are some of the stars bigger than others intentionally. Is it that you wanted us to note the factors that are not near the edge. Were these factors particularly significant in your experience? How did they influence the experience as a whole?
2. Since most of the factors are almost at the edge of chaos, what prevented you from falling off the edge and out of the course?
This was Tony's response:
It is a very scary course and it was on the edge of chaos most of the time - it is held back by the needs of the national moderation and marking schedules to provide consistent objective, verifiable, measureable reliable comparisons within, n=between and throughout schools, subjects years and cohorts. The large stars are where it is held back by these constraints. The rest is constant debate on the cutting edge of science - it is very scary as it requires a lot of preparation, extensive and in depth knowledge and the ability to orchestrate the students, teachers, resources and individuals on the fly - it is loosely controlled order or tightly controlled chaos - but it is very interesting both to watch and participate in - teaching as theatre sports crossed with socratic method and open debating - i think it works but it is a work in progress - and exhausting
I'm now wondering whether the participant experience would be different from Tony's footprint and if so how. 
A fascinating footprint. Thanks Tony

Hi Jaap - looking forward to seeing your POTCert footprint. I expect it will be of interest to Lisa and Scott too.

There are two ways in which you can approach the scoring. You can actually assign a number to each of the factors using the scoring sheet attached. (Some of the wording  in this scoresheet might be slightly different - as we are constantly working on the vocabulary we use - but they are essentially the same). This is how we started drawing the footprints and Jutta Pauschenwein still prefers to draw the footprints in this way. 

After much discussion we decided that scoring the footprints numerically was not possible to do with any degree of accuracy. My question was always - well should this factor be 14, 15 or 16 - and so on for the other factors.

This is how I approach it now.

For each factor I consider whether it should be in the prescrsiptive zone, the sweet emergent zone, the edgy/scary emergent zone or on the edge of chaos.

Having decided this I position the point within the zone according to whether I think there was more or less emergent learning. If more then I place the point nearer the outer edge of the zone, if less thit is nearer the inner edge of the zone. 

I think it is inevitable that the way in which the footprints are scored will depend on prior experience. For example, if I am very familiar with the openness of cMOOCs, I am not going to find the learning as disruptive as someone who is new to MOOCs.

Looking forward to seeing your footprint. Very interesting that you have translated the factors into Dutch. Roy might have mentioned soemwhere that Jutta also translated them into German - see her blog - http://zmldidaktik.wordpress.com/

Barb's footprint

Hi Barb - this is exactly what we were hoping for. Thanks so much for your comments, the comment sheet and the footprint which I have posted here so that everyone can see it straight away.

I'm on the road today, so don't have time to study your mapping sheet until later today, but it is clear that there was loads of potential for emergent learning in this course and that in many respects it was an edgy challenging experience.

I wonder if you could say a little more about why you scored theory of mind right at the outer edge of the 'scary/edgy' emergent learning zone - almost at the edge of chaos. What was it that happened in the course that caused you to score this in this way? We have found that theory of mind is often not selected from the palette, so I'd be interested to hear more about your understanding of it.

And I now have a lovely image of the footprints being discussed and drawn on a bus! Wonderful! What did your colleague make of the process?

I'll probably be back later with more questions, when I've had a bit of time to look at your mapping sheet.

Thanks Barb