Suggestions for Promotion of SCoPE

Suggestions for Promotion of SCoPE

by Christine Horgan -
Number of replies: 2

Sylvia: I was looking through the various threads to catch up on what I might have missed and spotted the Suggestions for promotion topic in the "Quick View of SCoPE ideas....."

How is SCoPE presently promoted?

I did, as I often do, stumbled across SCoPE quite by accident. Despite singing its virtues to many curriculum folks here at SAIT, as far as I know I'm the only SAIT person active or lurking in SCoPE.

Perhpas it's time to take the show on the road and deliver talks at some educational conferences (EduCAUSE comes to mind and one other that is connected to the Hewlett-Packard foundation but the name just won't come to me right now).

Cheers, Chris

In reply to Christine Horgan

Re: Suggestions for Promotion of SCoPE

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for bringing the promotion topic to the forefront, Christine! For the most part SCoPE has been promoted by word of mouth. A road show sure sounds like fun. I have presented SCoPE at a few conferences and other events but the best experiences have always been when the presentations are collaborative, like this one with Heather Ross at CADE (now CNIE - The Canadian Network for Innovation in Education) a few years back.

Penny mentioned that Centres for Teaching and Learning should promote SCoPE events to faculty. Occasionally I find evidence that this is being done -- like this blog post on the Teaching and Learning at BCIT blog which mentions our upcoming seminar on the Art of Teaching -- but it's not common.

What are some ways to encourage others to spread the word about SCoPE?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Suggestions for Promotion of SCoPE

by Helen Walmsley -
Hi Sylvia,
This is a very interesting topic - how do practitioners find appropriate networks? There are now lots of different communities and groups for teachers developing e-learning and these are scattered around the internet - perhaps what is needed is a 'meta community' that links them all up!

I have used a range of ways to promote the Best Practice Models community - presentations at conferences and local networks, postings to a variety of email lists with invitations to attend events and personal recommendations too! I also have groups on Facebook and Ning to signpost to the community.

Helen