Seminar Structure

Re: Seminar Structure

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 1
Dear Gary,
Thanks for giving us some time to think about this and notifying us about the topic and subtopics. That is helpful -- and I will just make a brief comment, knowing that we are not starting officially til the week of March 2.

A national perspective is worth exploring; I am aware of the difficulties crossing provinces in lots of areas of practice, not just teaching. I'm curious if there would be enough collaborative leadership to develop this vision. Whether it is worthy, to me, the answer if yes if it streamlines research about education and elearning, in particular, and more quality learning evaluations, more financial support for learners, and collaborative partnerships in research.

This topic links to some of the work from the Pan Canadian Scope conference, and I'm glad it has resurfaced.

Jo Ann

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

Re: Seminar Structure

by Gary Hunt -
Hi Jo Ann,
Thank you for initiating our discussion. You have hit on an important issue about the need for collaboration and resources. Because we have no federal mandate for post-secondary education in Canada, we tend to be very regionalized in developing educational initiatives. A good example of this is the Ontario expectations for undergraduates and graduates. Guidelines for University Undergraduate Degee Level Expectations (Ontario Council of Academic Vice Presidents), and Guidelines for University Graduate Degree Level Expectations(Ontario College of Graduate Studies) are Provincially mandated. I think these are very beneficial initiatives and I wish we had the equivalent in BC.

The UK systems are Federally driven so they were developed through wide feedback and collaboration.

I am sure we will have more comments about how e-learning fits into this national concept. Would we need to have a special qualification for e-learning?

Gary