Doug's LS Activity

Doug's LS Activity

by Doug Strable -
Number of replies: 3

Scenario

Our 12-week prototype in-house English class for Japanese engineering and sales staff is in its third week.  The program is available to staff countrywide and currently runs with five students at a false beginner level.  By the end of the 12 weeks, we expect students to be able to introduce themselves in English when visiting projects overseas based on the sample dialogues they have learned.  The week starts very similar to this course -- asynchronously with two tasks: quizzes and forum tasks to prepare for a live one on one session with the instructor at the end of the week via the BigBlue Button activity. 

Students appear to be enjoying the quizzes but are not participating in the Forum tasks before the lessons. We are now planning to hold a group meeting with the students, instructors, designers and staff in Japanese to assess the course so far with the students. I think the LS structures would work well to kick off some discussions to encourage participation. 

The LS I am thinking the "What, So What, Now What, W3 LS",  would be a natural pick, but I'd like to delve deeper and provide some training on the strategy. I'll use the "9 Why's" LS. The time frame of 5-20 minutes for a person sounds good, but since we're a small group of 8, I feel we can hear everyone's stories. 

Invitation: 

1.    How do you progress through the activities for the week? 

2.    Why is this sequence important to you? Why is this important to you?

We would keep notes for the group on the blackboard in the BigBlueButton conference activity.  The LS notes suggest also think about asking people if the activity reminds them of any stories. 

My question is what types of questions would we need to follow up with other than why or is this all we need. 

Thank Asif and Rey for your help, guidance and sharing any ideas about this plannned groupwork. I'm looking forward to investigating your activities as well, 

Doug 

In reply to Doug Strable

Re: Doug's LS Activity

by Asif Devji -

Hi Rey -- I've had a chance to read through Doug's case and proposed activities above -- please see my feedback below and let me know what you think.

CASE:

• Desired outcome: By the end of the 12 weeks, we expect students to be able to introduce themselves in English when visiting projects overseas based on the sample dialogues they have learned.

• Learning activities: asynchronous quizzes and forum tasks to prepare for a live one on one session with the instructor at the end of the week

• Identified issue: Students appear to be enjoying the quizzes but are not participating in the Forum tasks before the lessons

• Proposed intervention: group meeting with the students, instructors, designers and staff in Japanese to assess the course so far with the students.
  • Question: what types of questions would we need to follow up with other than why or is this all we need

• The two LS activities selected seem appropriate to address the issue -- from my reading:
    • W3 -- would allow participants to reflect on the group's process/progress through the learning activities
    •  9 Whys -- would allow participants to reflect on the purpose and effectiveness of the learning activities vis-a-vis the desired outcome
    • It's unclear how Doug envisions sequencing these two activities --  but it might be something to think about as the thinking/feedback generated during the first activity would prime the learners/be fed into the second activity

• In general, the proposed LS activities could: 
    • Offer the learners some instructor transparency as they think through the 'whys' of the learning activities and explore the rationale behind the them
    • Reveal for the instructor the learners' assessment of the effectiveness of the learning activities in preparing them for the desired outcome
    • Open up an opportunity for negotiation between learners/instructors/designers/staff regarding (i) the learning activities themselves and (ii) learner participation in the activities -- as well as decisions on next steps (i.e. during the 'Now What?' phase of the W3 LS) based on the results of the negotiations

• Some additional questions that could be asked during the LS activities:
    • What do you envision will be your biggest challenge when introducing yourself in English while visiting projects overseas? (Note: as a future step, the Critical Uncertainties LS might be useful to address concerns raised here)
    • What is working/not working for you in the course to get you to your desired outcome? (And why?)
    • What learning activity is the most challenging for you? (And why?)
    • Why do you think these learning activities have been proposed/sequenced in this way?
    • What might be a better learning activity/sequence of learning activities to get you to your desired outcome? (And why?)

In reply to Asif Devji

by Reynaldo Chang -

Hi Asif,

I agree with your summary of Doug's desired outcome, learning activities, identified issues, and proposed intervention, and question. I think Doug hit it right in assessing the current situation, the challenges, and what he intends to do with these challenges to achieve his desired outcomes. 

The two proposed LS activities: "What, So What, Now What, W3 LS", and "2 Whys" are appropriate for the type of question being posed by Doug. 

Doug may wish to look at other exciting and fun way to engage learners to participate in the asynchronous online activity for the week. He may want to try Appreciative Interviews LS.  Learners may find this LS activity more positive and focuses on drawing out "successes", rather than "failures". This reinforces positive affirmation on the part of the learners who may have challenges in initiating writing in English online.

I particularly liked the fact that Doug intends to use another technology called BigBlueButton which is an open-source web conferencing system which can be embedded in Moodle. Just a little bit of trivia, we should take pride that BigBlueButton started as a project in Carleton University.

I also share  your enumeration of the benefits of the two proposed LS activities.

Doug, this is a good work and I hope that you can also try Appreciative Interviews and give us a feedback.

I hope you will find these feedback useful for your purpose, Doug, and I wish you all the best in your undertaking.

In reply to Reynaldo Chang

by Doug Strable -

Hello Asif and Rey, 

Thank you for your comments on my activity. I agree with you that my initial focus was on creating the invitation question and would follow up on integrating the activities, and the Appreciative Interviews LS was another LS I was also thought about.  Rey's comments about the Appreciative Interviews drawing out "successes", rather than "failures" is important.  I will try the Appreciative Interview LS. 

Regarding BigBlueButton - thank you for sharing the trivia that the project started from Carleton University. Students often had logon issues with using external web conferencing, but the BigBlueButton interface and integration in Moodle makes the log in seamless now. 

I'll work on putting the meeting into place now that I have learned about LS.  Thank you again Asif and Rey helping me understand this activity better. 

Doug