Drawing and using footprints

Re: Drawing and using footprints

by Scott Johnson -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Roy and Jenny,

Though I know what I liked about the POTcert course it interests me to ask questions prepared by others to discover things I might have missed. Having observed first hand the failure of well-intentioned efforts to help instructors through the transition process I'm curious to know why Lisa's system works. It may be the footprint won't help but it interests me as a way to analyse in a manner that seems more genuine.

Not familiar with Meyer and Land though I've been through some significant transitions and wonder what they mean by 'loss'. To me the idea of being lost is a devastating unraveling of the self, not an affordance for learning at all. Will look at some of their things. Will do the footprint tomorrow.

In reply to Scott Johnson

Re: Drawing and using footprints

by Roy Williams -

Scott, the Meyer Land & Baillee (2010) is an updated on previous work on threshold concepts: 

They describe learning firstly as substantial epistemic shifts, or shifts in conceptual content, clustered around their notion of key threshold concepts, which are transformative, integrative, irreversible, and troublesome. They emphasise the disruption that this entails, when common sense frameworks are overturned (transformative); hidden relations are exposed (integrative): irreversibly - you may reject the learning, but you can never erase the learning experience: previous ideas – and learning - may have to be discarded (in a process of decay and even grieving), all of which is, not surprisingly, often troublesome

(from an article - still WIP -  on emegence and transformation) 

You have reminded me again - thank you - that "unravelling of the self is not an affordance for learning at all".

Learning can be a fragile business, indeed.  The market place approach to xMOOCs just doesnt do it for me for precisely that reason.