What do you want to know about digital badges?

Re: What do you want to know about digital badges?

by Christine Horgan -
Number of replies: 1

Peter:

I'm tempted to say I want to know everything, but I'm not sure what to ask. (Everything you ever wanted to know about digital badges, but were afraid to ask.)

I see references to the concept of badges more and more frequently. As I have a reluctant learner in my own family, the concept of badges (and I'm thinking the Girl Guide/Boy Scout approach--which is probably too simplistic) is a concept that interests me personally as it's something that might make PSE more "do-able" for this very bright family member. However, ever mindful of the necessity at PSEs to grow business, I'm more and more interested in creating opportunities for learners -- and badges may present that opportunity.

Could we start with . . .

• defining the concept.
  • briefly exploring the history of the concept.
  • looking at the business model for badges.
  • discussing whether or not badges will/can/could/should be non-credit, continuing education-type courses or whether or not they could be combined into a self-determined, PSE-recognized qualification.
  • looking at the "shape" of badges (hours, resources, evaluations, learner support).

• Cheers, Chris
  • (SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Alberta, Canada)

In reply to Christine Horgan

Re: What do you want to know about digital badges?

by Peter Rawsthorne -

Christine,

I will do my best to cover "everything" over the first two weeks of December. If topics are not covered and there is enough interest I am sure we could convince Scope to do a follow-up seminar or two... and please don't be afraid to ask anything... I never know where the diamond on the beach question is ;)

I'm totally with you in applying badges to PSE and surrounding areas. I think you will find my approach to badges (and much of life-long learning) is outside the traditional institutions and I will focus on the possibilities of creating badge systems that map to an individuals personal learning. I'm a fan of William Pinar and the importance and benefit of personalizing curriculum. I think badges fit very well here.

So yes... I will spend some time exploring the concept of badges and dive into some history... and I would enjoy discussing business models that may emerge. I've had a few discussions with businesses and CPD and they see business benefit to badges. Not necessarily from where you would expect.

And where badges fit within credentialing (or not) and how they can be within learning. The shape of badges has so many possibilities. So much to discuss... Also looking forward to others contributions in this discussion, so if you know of anyone who would also like to join in, please encourage them.

Thanks so much for jumping into the discussion now... great to get things going early. be well...

Peter