Getting down to the feature list: Open Atrium as possibility

Getting down to the feature list: Open Atrium as possibility

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 11
I've had a couple design meetings with Northstudio re the development of the SoTL portal. There is a Drupal-related platform called Open Atrium which seems to match our user requirements quite well. This is a good thing because it means less $ for development, but we're still sorting through some details to make sure we're not heading down the wrong path.

Here's a summary of features and how I see them (in orange text) used for this project:
  • Projects are created within groups. I envision a group could be created for each new research project.
  • Any number of projects can be created within a single group. Potentially a group could become a research focus, with several projects within.
  • Cases are specific issues within a project that can be assigned to a member. This has potential for breaking down research tasks.
  • Events can be created within a group. Possibly as a way to record milestones, and also schedule meetings.
  • Books can be created within a group. They are like simple pages that can be organized in a hierarchical fashion. Potentially as a way to co-author. I'm looking into these options further.
  • Blog posts can be created within a group. Other members can comment on the post.
Features that are included with the items above:
  • Notifications when new content is added or existing content is edited - sent to members of the group.
  • Messaging from one member to either another member or a number of members.
  • Calendar view and feed to manage events.
One drawback with Open Atrium is that it is not designed to be a public facing site. Out of the box users would need to create an account to view content. I know we touched on private versus public nature of the site during earlier conversations, mostly as it relates to comfort level for contributors. What are your thoughts on this?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Getting down to the feature list: Open Atrium as possibility

by Heather Hurren -

I think this sounds okay as long as the account creation is not cumbersome but is quick and simple for new users.

In preparation for the poster session in June do you think we will have a screen shot or two by then that we can put on the poster?

In reply to Heather Hurren

by Sylvia Currie -
Great to hear. In fact, a clear path: 1) login 2) view/interact can be much easier than having too much detail and clutter up front. Although there are good reasons to have parts of the site open, like maybe access to search/browse final research reports.

Yes, for sure we'll have something for June's session. In fact we should have a functioning prototype before then.

I had a further exchange with Northstudio this morning about the public/private options and they say it is possible to customize based on what we need, but it would need to be part of phase 2. They're doing what they can within our current budget. I'm so glad I found this company; they're great to work with!

Thanks for your speedy reply!
Sylvia

by Heather Hurren -
Hi - this all sounds good. In preparation for the poster development we would need the screen shots a few weeks prior to the conference so that we can fit them appropriately and have time to get it printed and ready. Thanks for all your work on this!!
In reply to Heather Hurren

by Gary Hunt -
Hi Heather and Sylvia,
I am back at work part-time and most every day now so I should be able to keep up. I agree that creating an account, as long as it is quick and simple, should not be a deterrent to using the site. Being able to view a front page that gives a brief overview of what it is about before you are asked to create an account would be good.
I take it that with the account, people can ask to be notified about site news or subscribe to notice of new content.

Gary
In reply to Gary Hunt

by Sylvia Currie -
I just had a Q&A with the developer at North Studio and yes, the subscription options are quite good.

More tomorrow, and by then I'll also have a login ready for us to explore the site...
Sylvia

by Janine Hirtz -
that sounds great, thanks Sylvia! I have certainly found in dealing with faculty that while some are open to the idea of 'public' many continue to feel more comfortable in environments that offer some level of security or 'privacy'.

by Janine Hirtz -
Hi all,

I have started the poster design and am looking for some screenshots and a little more detail. Sylvia - do you have a login for us to check it out? Also, tried to call you; but I don't know if I have the right number. (If I missed the post with login info, my apologies...) Thanks, Janine
In reply to Janine Hirtz

Open Atrium login

by Sylvia Currie -
Oh my goodness! I was sure I had posted the login here but maybe I didn't hit the button? So sorry!

http://ltc.bccampus.ca/sotl/
username: test_user
password: test

This is for access as a "manager"

Also, you can create your own account to test it out using participant access, which I recommend. Try creating a group, adding content, etc and keep in mind that any of the labels can change (i.e. 'project' can become 'SoTL project', 'group' can become 'research group', etc). Also, the platform right now is fully loaded with all features. We might not need them all.

I just got back from a week away at conferences and plan to spend some time today and feeling the need to dig into the site to refresh my memory on how it all works. I'll start listing out suggestions on how we can tweak the design to better serve our needs.

Would you have some time tomorrow for a design meeting? (Any time is fine for me) If we get some feedback to NorthStudio this week they can finish it up our working prototype in the next couple of weeks.

Re: Open Atrium login

by Janine Hirtz -
No problem Sylvia, Heather found the link in her email and sent to me; so I took a peek yesterday (and a couple screenshots for the poster). I will do some more exploring and testing per your request :) It looks quite user friendly!

I have time tomorrow afternoon, should we try for 1:30? I'll see if I can get Heather and Peter in too - don't know what their schedules are like. j

PS - do you have a phone number? I tried one that was on one of your emails, but I couldn't seem to connect.
In reply to Janine Hirtz

Meeting to review Open Atrum site

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for suggesting a time, Janine. 1:30 today works for me. I created an Elluminate room for members of the SoTL portal to use. Let's meet there so we can use application sharing to look at the website together.

Guest login:
https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=727&password=M.55268CFD56A113DCE9DA4074F294D4

My phone number is 250-318-2907

See you then!
Sylvia

Re: Meeting to review Open Atrum site

by Janine Hirtz -

May 18, 2011

Notes regarding site:

1.  Account approval- me request still has not been processed : )

2.  Home page: Some logo (theme & colors *EDC)?

Heather to provide introduction message

Sylvia suggested to add visual map (sample) – I like this idea

3.  Suggestion for entry window:

I think it is important to have options in the entry window (home) that guide the user in a structured way through the process:

#1 - They should be able to use a search tool (*search needs to be fixed) or something similar to search and see if there are any existing projects related to their interests or any existing / current discussions of similar ideas. If not, they can post an idea and get feedback in a discussion tool (without needing to create a group first). Linked to this process, members should have access to member profiles where members can list their research interests and completed projects etc… (If they are currently engaged in a project – perhaps they are identified by a change in ‘color’ as a status indicator of this activity - another great idea by Sylvia!). 

In this area users should be able to engage with potential collaborators to explore whether or not they will proceed with the research project. 

4.  Once the members decide or commit to proceeding, they can create a working ‘group’. In this working group, they should be able to use discussions or forums (I don’t think ‘blog’ is the right concept here) – although subscribing to the forum is helpful and efficient. Blog gives a sense of authoring and comments vs. discussion. The calendar may also be a useful tool especially with the iCal functionality.

5. The case tracker seems to have too many layers and we may wish to change some of the labels. I am confused that there is a ‘group’ then a project, then a case and the projects keep the cases organized… 

6. The notebook is a great concept and should help in documenting the project . 

7. Need to check / test that the completed tasks are archived for future reference. Also not sure about the labels here – case / task? 

8. Not sure about the shoutbox (when I came back to the portal tonight, it showed that I had 1 unread message here from my test with Sylvia; but I am concerned as Sylvia pointed out that important messages posted here may get overlooked). Not sure if we need this tool.

9. I like the user interface - it seems quite friendly. The ? help notes are good (I haven't checked to ensure that they exist everywhere) and also the video tutorials will be very helpful to first time users.

Lastly, I know we had a short discussion about the benefits of 'open' vs. membership; and I like the idea of open, particularly when people are in the exploratory stages or just wanting to read 'results'. I think we may need to allow users to set restrictions if they feel it is important at the project/case levels.

Hopefully this makes some sense! Thanks everyone, Janine