Elders in Formal and Informal Education

Re: Elders in Formal and Informal Education

by Nalin Abeysekera -
Number of replies: 1

The context I think is important. Here I Sri Lanka  we have problem of computer literacy…so specially with elders. Some times people feel skeptic for computers. .they think in a different way.. but we have generation X and Y like people. They are early adopters.. in my university I can easily work with them. But there should be some policy…if can focus elder people and educate them then I think we can get the help of them in terms of the development of the nation. Because in your older days with e-learning you might feel like young..

In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

Re: Elders in Formal and Informal Education

by Sandy McAuley -
Touch typing was one of the most valuable courses I took during my secondary schooling in the late 60s. It became particularly valuable when I gained access to a computer because it gave me access to the interface, that is, the need to enter text with a keyboard was not a barrier to me in getting the computer to do what I want.

The growing sophistication of the computer interface, especially with respect to better manipulation of audio and video has removed further barriers interacting with computers. Although computers are more sophisticated than ever, I would say they are increasingly accessible (in terms of use, at least) to elders and other people with less comfort in a print-centred world.

I am familiar with a couple of examples in which elders in the Nunavut region of Canada's arctic connected across huge distances to share ideas using computer AV links. This, of course, brings us back to the bandwidth issue...