New Thread for Week Two

Re: Online Resource for Educational Pedagogy

by Tia Carr Williams -
Number of replies: 7

Deirdre,

Sounds like a wise move. I can empathise completely as I am often the ideator for a lot of content that goes on to assume the profile of the brand!

What do you think can be done to improve this situation?

In reply to Tia Carr Williams

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
The issue of ownership is a huge one for universities. If you create learning materials using university resources/time, does it belong to you or the university? Can you take online courses with you when you move to another university? We had a professor do that after the university spent $100,000 on the course, so this university is sensitive. On the other hand, faculty argue that they write books on university time and the university has no claim.

Designers and artists are caught in the middle, their work/creativity contributes to course development, yet it is rarely acknowledged because technically they have no ownership claims. The Extension Division here had a policy that the instructional designer's name was included next to the subject matter expert on a credit page, but that may no longer be required under the new structure. Once the designer/artist leaves an organization, they no longer have access to a course and can't demonstrate it to prospective employers.

My advise to instructional designers
  • keep a portfolio of your best work separate from the project
  • participate in publishing articles to raise your professional profile and don't let yourself be listed too far down the list of authors on joint publications. Presenting at conferences is great, but it doesn't have the same cachet with faculty as being a published author
  • become very familiar with the journals that accept submissions from designers
  • write a blog
  • initiate the idea of doing a research project about the course right at the beginning of a project and it will raise you from servile to collegial status as well as adding needed research.
In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Good advice, Deirdre. As an instructional designer myself, I do not create materials and processes for online only per se, but your suggestions made me think of others who share such issues.

Do you know if there are any communities or organizations for instructional designers or those looking to continue sharing these types of suggestions? I know there are some real techy-ones, but my organization (about 13,000 employees) has trouble understanding what I do unless it directly relates with specific projects (and, let's face it, which ones do not??!!). Some ongoing conversations would be very helpful . . .

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Jeffery, here in Saskatchewan, we have a provincial instructional designers' organization. Designers from the university, technical college and high schools get together once a year for a conference.

I've been thinking that a NING group might be in order just for designers. What do people think? http://www.ning.com/

by Carolyn Campbell -
Count me in, Deirdre! Sounds like a great idea.

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Great idea! I have been wondering if such things exist, though have found them somewhat elusive. Let me know when and how you want to begin!

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Anyone feel creative about a name for the Instructional Designers Group?

by carla arena -
Dear Deirdre and all,

I'm a huge lurker here, but am always learning with you all. I loved your idea, Deirdre, about the ning group. How about iDesign or InDesign or eDesign? Just speaking up my mind.

Carla
A Brazilian EFL instructor
http://explorations.bloxi.jp