Evaluation Practices for Informal Adult Learning Wiki: Summary
You'll need to login to edit this wiki.
Tip: Click the enlarge editor icon (looks like this ) for a bigger view while editing.
Evaluation Practices for Informal Adult Learning Wiki
Table of contents
Evaluation Practices for Informal Adult Learning
April 13-May 1, 2009 | SCoPE Discussion
Informal learning is a key part of our personal development. It is also becoming a larger part of our working lives. But in an era of increasing accountability, we begin to question the role of evaluation for informal / self-paced adult learning...
What are existing rationales for evaluation of informal / self-paced adult learning (for the learner and the provider/developer)? What accountability do we have to learners / providers/ funders? What's different about evaluating informal learning vis a vis formal learning? What are emerging practices for evaluation informal / self-paced adult learning? What are some challenges in the field? What are the opportunities in the field?
- Week 1: Issues. How do we acknowledge and recognize informal learning?
- Week 2: Cases (eg. e-passport system)
- Week 3: Challenges and Opportunities
Moderator: Sylvia Currie
- Bill Owen
- Dianne A
- Diego Leal
- Wendy Kraglund Gauthier
- Forum contributions mentioning resources
- looking again at non-formal and informal education - towards a new paradigm, Alan Rogers blog post
- TogetherLearn site
- Seminar tag: 'evalprac'
Publications and Reports 
- Assessment as Practice: Notes on Measures, Tests, and Targets by Brigitte Jordan and Peter Putz. Accepted for publication in Human Organization 2004.
- Evaluating informal learning in a virtual context by Giustina IADECOLA Nicolò and Antonio PIAVE
- Knowledge Delivered in Any Other Form Is... Perhaps Sweeter: Informal learning is becoming a standardized part of a complete, balanced workplace regimen, by Aparna Nancherla, T & D, May 2009
- Report on Phase 1 of the Knowledge Sharing Workshop by Simone Staiger-Rivas, Nancy White, Lucie Lamoureux, and Petr Kosina
- Corporate Learning Trends and Innovation OnlineEvent: Conversations about Learning in Organizations (April 21-22, 2009; recorded webinars)
- Evaluation of Best Practice for Elearning blog and course content
- Formalizing Informal Learning - The Bersin & Associates Enterprise Learning Framework, Thursday, 21 May 2009, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM (GMT -04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Evaluation Tools 
- Instructional Product Evaluation Course Tools
- Seequel Guide to the Non-Formal and Informal Learning Processes
- Spider Diagrams: Example from CIGAR Strategic Communications Workshop
Summary of Issues 
Week One: Emerging Themes and Issues
- Impact of blended learning in corporate and academic settings
- Evaluating lifelong learning opportunities
- Impact of social media on elearning
- 3D (virtual worlds) learning and evaluation
- Shifts in thinking about the relationships between formal and informal learning
- Opportunities to rethink evaluation in learning
Week Two: Webinar Themes and Issues
- How do we “recognize” learning?
- How do we celebrate learning?
- Do learners distinguish between formal, informal, and nonformal learning?
- What is the role of portfolios for evaluating and recognizing informal learning?
- Is informal learning about self-evaluation?
- Are formal learning assessment tools transferable to the assessment of informal learning?
- What role do educators play in helping learners assess their own (informal) learning?
- What are implications for accreditation?
- What is the relationship between learning and the (self) assessment of that learning?
- What is measured when assessing informal learning?
- How is informal learning valued, especially by institutions?