A Request for Help -- share errors that drive you nuts!
Help Build a Writing Errors Database
Several participants indicated in their survey responses that they'd like help with the 'mechanics' of writing. This is the one request that I haven't been able to fulfill on my own, so I'm turning to the wisdom of the group. What I'm asking is that you take a moment to share the writing errors that you see often in students' papers as well in other sources that you read.
Link to collaborative Google Doc -- https://docs.google.com/document/d/12nuvd_IwSFRMfDkUgohUrRELwbGWoUbJH4mtm52u3D0/edit
What to include
- sentence structure issues -- run-on sentence or comma splice, sentence fragment, subject-verb agreement, pronoun-antecent agreement, dangling modifiers, problems with parallel structure ...
- punctuation problems -- 'Oxford' comma, incorrectly placed apostrophes ...
- word choice mistakes
- whatever else that comes under the heading of syntax, grammar, or mechanics (as opposed to organization or paragraph structure)
How to write this up
- Please provide an example and its 'fix'. If you want to add an explanation or an easy way to test for this error, that would be helpful.
- If you've used content from an online source, please provide the link.
- Don't worry about the format. I will organize all contributions into a Google Slides presentation and will send out the link after the week concludes.
If you have questions instead of answers ...
- this would be a great place to ask them. Include an example with a brief explanation of what confuses you.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.