Posts made by Kelly Christopherson

Corrine,

I use David Warlick's Blogmeister program for blogging. It gives me a set of control functions that allow our blogs to be viewed in the larger world but I oversee all posts and comments - which can be a bit of a hassle but has saved me a bit of grief as I do not allow inappropriate posts or comments. I can also comment on the posts and give suggestions before they are posted. It works very well for us.

I personally have tried a number of programs:
    blogger, elgg, bloglines, edublogs (which I use regularly), freewebs and a .mac blog.

I don't make recommendations as I have had a good experience with them all.
As someone involved in a public situation as principal of a school, I consider anything I say or do as public. Although I have discussed that this is not fair and all the rest, it is still a reality that I live within, especially in a small town.  So, when it comes to blogging and my school website, I know that I must be aware that what I say and post is always "public" just as my actions in public are viewed.

For students, we are using David Warlick's Blogmeister program which allows the teacher to oversee what is being posted and to assure that information is related to what is being studied. I've found that this is important - I've had to delete comments that were inappropriate - and I can give students suggestions before they publish - which helps me to track what they are doing.
Michael,

I am an administrator in a K -12 school in rural Saskatchewan, Canada. I was with a few of the other people in the online conference last week and decided to see what this was all about!

I am using blogging with my students as a form of response and reflection. We are uing blogmeister to start. I do hope to get to a point that we can navigate to something like edubogs for students where I will not have to do as much filtering.

Personally I have been using blogging for a few months at www.kwhobbes.edublogs.org. I have found the interaction to be great and it has helped me to reflect much more on my practice and how I use different tools to achieve understanding. It has also put me in contact with a number of different people whom I now converse on a regular basis. I am always seeking out new blogs to see what others are thinking, doing and experiencing.
I find the web2.0 tools to be great forms of personal PD, allowing me to experiment and try different things to enhance the learning for the students.