Posts made by Kelly Christopherson

No best practices? Are you suggesting that the information given to young teachers outlining best practices of teaching is so much bunk? That, indeed, there are no best practices but just exceptional people who happen to have the same way of doing things? 

Going even further with the whole newspaper thing, don't do anything that you wouldn't want to see posted on the front page - you never know who has a camera.
Well, being a cloud and a gnat at the same time must mean I'm pretty good at something  thoughtful Your hippie analogy is interesting and I'd say the hippies were more comfortable that the gray flannel suit culture. People who blog do it for various reasons and, unlike your hippies, we only sometimes dress the same. I definitely don't think the same as some of the other bloggers I've come across nor do I want to appear to think the same. So...
I've had a webpage for, well, years. I've used the internet since, well, before it was actually the internet and just universities were transfering information. As I've mentioned to Michael, the only secure thing is death because then it doesn't matter - but I'm not ready for that yet. Which means that I either worry that all my information is being sold on the black market or I trust. Simple. If not, well, the government has my SIN, all the banks and credit institutions have my credit information, my credit card is buying black marked DVD's and Dan Brown gets another best seller wink I believe we need to be cautious and use common sense, be diligent with what we do and make sure we unload the video camera before we loan it out (Lampoon's European vacation reference) or we could end up in trouble.
I believe education will change in the future, internet communication will be widely used and there will be some messy and chaotic things go on. Just like the 70's. And we're still here, now trying something different. Will it change and evolve? You bet. And that will cause more distress and anxiety for some people? Always does. But as a floating gnat, who is also naive (first time I've been called that by anyone, thanks!) I stick with what I've learned, what is working and what I see as the possibilities for the future.
Well, Michael, a good story teller advised me that when telling a story, start with the truth and then twist it and tell a lie.  big grin I guess it depends on the need for the life stories. As an English major, I've spent enough time writing and going through various stories to understand the dilemna you speak about. I also found that students did best when they could make the stories personal. I wonder if to reveal any private issues at any time puts us at some sort of risk. Really, there is nothing that is secure, but death, and I don't think anyone is quite ready for that extreme. Writing with passion and conviction is something you might be able to encourage via handins but you won't get the same input as on the blog. I guess that you could provide a disclaimer stating that all information is private but with the nature of all information, it is possible that others may infiltrate the system and seize personal information that in the future may be used against  you. I really don't know since all our information is held electronically and, really, if you go to the extreme, we're one hack away from world destruction. 
I like the whole set up with Blogmeister because it is limited. The students blogs are open to others within the "walled garden" but I get to moderate all blogs, both the posts and the comments. For the age of students I work with, middle years, I find this to be a great format. Now, I haven't looked at LiveJournal but I know that wordpress has a student blog service that I have been looking into as the students move from "walled garden" to more open spaces. I like the way things are still very much in my hands but allow more exposure. I'll take a look at LiveJournal and give you my feedback. 
Michael,
It works more like a webspace! You can blog, add your own widgets to the dashboard, add friends and other things. I am slowly working with it to find out how to do things.
As for Safari, I will give the download a try. Firefox, with its plugins, moves even more slowly. I do use Flock, I like it as a browzer and it is my main browser. I just like the way it works. I have tried a number of blogging tools like Writetomyblog and the Firefox plugin Performancing. Although they do work well, I still like the blog option in Flock and I like the way that Flock works with so many of the web2.0 apps. My MacBook finds Flock to be very compatible and allows it to run smooth and fairly fast ;)