Posts made by Jesai Jayhmes

Not too many years back Frank Campbell at the video studio in the Learning and Instructional Development Centre at Simon Fraser University, and I offered a course for teachers at Simon Fraser University called “Talking to the Camera”. It was designed to familiarize teachers with the video medium as on camera talent. Although the course was popular with those who took it, on camera practice was not widely recognized as an essential teaching skill.

As high band width on the internet became a household requirement, and tv on the web was close at hand, we renamed the course “Say it on the Web”. We knew that bringing the high touch (heart and soul) element to the high tech (internet) environment would be essential.

This time it took off. Everyone involved got very excited about creatively using the medium and became re-inspired around their own teaching.

We now use a high degree of interactivity and various online platforms...

HUMANIZING THE ONLINE EXPERIENCE:

“More and more distance courses to be offered”

“Professors are adding to their lecture hall obligations and going online”

“Teachers blending online and face to face instruction like never before”

“Economic realities and greener foot prints drive the drive to online meetings"

The Danger: Technology takes priority over human interaction.

What does “Humanizing the Online Experience” refer to?

Effective education, the transmission of knowledge, in its most basic form is from person to person, orally, as in master and apprentice, parent to child, mentor and mentee, friend to friend.

A teacher showing interest in a learner’s development can be the difference between success and failure in their academic career and in later life.

Teaching and learning are inseparable. It is not possible to be a great teacher and have learners that don’t get it. The definition of a great teacher must include inspiring learning, growth and development on the part of the learner.

After having been involved in the training of professors, teachers, and trainers of all kinds for over 10 years it has become clear me that each teacher and each discipline defines knowledge differently. What is considered essential theoretical and practical knowledge in one discipline is as foreign to another as Mandarin is to English.

One praises analytical thinking, another critical thinking, for some it is the ability to calculate, for others the keys are empathy and intuition, for still another the ability to be spontaneous and connect with emotions, or it’s the sanctity of expression in speaking or written word that is paramount.

The purpose of learning is also defined differently in each discipline and by each professor and each learner. For some it might be “to get a job” for others “to be a more balanced human being” or “ to get help on research” “to create change agents in the world” “to develop a team” “to prove that you are smart” “to prove you can follow rules” “to collaborate effectively with others towards achieving a goal”

Add to this confusion of tongues the bureaucratic challenges Universities face,
and the economics of tuition and funding required to pay the bills. Online learning runs the danger of distancing people ever more from the essential connection, that of person to person.

I invite you to read through the following questions and consider each one from your own perspective and experience of being a teacher and what that means to you.

QUESTIONS?
What is your criteria for teaching and learning based on your discipline and your prefered teaching style?

What practices do you employ?

How do you experience the learning moment as teacher or student within the context of online learning?

Personal anecdotes are welcome.

By the way, I hope you were able to catch a look at the video link.
If not, please check it out now.

If you were a panelist in such a teleconference, what would you say?

What is your experience of being in front of the camera?

How do you feel when you see yourself on video?

What are the challenges for you in being a really effective online teacher/facilitator?

What’s holding you back?

What skills would you like to develop as far as online delivery goes?

I am delighted to be working with Sylvia and BCCampus on this and very much look forward to your participation. I would also like to thank the Learning and Instructional Development Centre at Simon Fraser University and Professor David Kaufman for having been able to develop much of the foundation for this seminar through programs which began at the LIDC.

Please sign in by posting your comments below and responding to any or all of the above questions...... and join us "live virtually" on Tuesday, 10:am pst.

Thanks so much,

Jesai Jayhmes