Discussions started by Jesai Jayhmes

Good day or night dear participants. Where ever you are joining us from the Earth, I hope this seminar proves useful to you in your mission to deliver valuable learning experiences for your students.

Our aim is to push the technology to connect our human presences with others.
In the classroom that is what we are used to. Think back on your own classroom experiences and the quality of your own teachers. What qualities did those that had the biggest impact on you possess?

Energy? Passion? Interest in their subject? Desire to pass it on to others?
Patience? A sense of wonder and curiousity?

Students learn not just from the orderly organization of lesson plans but from the direct communication and acknowledgement from you.

Today we are exploring video, live conferencing and prerecorded, to enhance the learning experience for your students.

Although the video option has been in existence for some time in distance learning there is a bit of a learning curve required in effectively utilizing the technology.

Now, most computers have built in cameras, you tube has millions of private channels, and reality tv has put "normal" people in the lime light for their 15 seconds of fame. Our students are accustomed to the multitude of multi-media forms of contact.

Let's have some fun getting to know each other in this medium and test some strategies for connecting in this way.

You are medium.... and the medium is the message.
I think this is so cool!

Looks like some of you are having fun showing up on your own laptops and all over the world. Now, I know there were 30 people on the last webinar at one point. Also there are maybe more than a few lurkers. Let's convert a few lurkers to participants.

Would you be prepared to out yourself by posting your video recording?
Or please post some really creative excuse like "the dog ate my webcam",

Aren't we really just like the kids we teach? the same habits of procrastination with slightly different reasons/excuses. Myself included, I know how hard it is to do something awkward/embarrasing, that I can easily not make time for, especially as it does not at this moment put more money in my pocket, or love in my life and simply seems like a burden.

Even though this thing we are probing is nothing other than the very pinnacle of communication, it is easy to avoid the time to wade in. Its very intimidating.... Really.... It is........

We are not into shaming people into doing anything. That is so low brow and ineffective, second only to water-boarding, and that is frowned upon these days.

Isn't this the same dilemna that you have in being able to gauge the level of participation of an online class. Although, if this were a class rather than a seminar everyone might be required as part of the grade.
Here there is no such requirement of accountability. It is based solely on how you choose to play.

A lurker has an experience from, as it were, behind the bushes.
A text only poster has the ability to see, read, comment, critique
and guide.... little risk level, little exposure.
The video poster has another level of investment in body and emotions by being out there. They are therefore perceived differently by the rest of the group. For one thing, you can see them, and they can not see you.

"A recent fabricated survey revealed that 9 out of 10 teachers secretly loved to appear on video, they just thought they wouldn't be taken seriously as academics"

Really?

Its true, I read it in a forum!

Thankyou all for your participation in whatever form it may be. Each part has value.

Have a watch of this video. The next challenge is in there.

There are layers of learning offered through this onliine journey. Now I can review the entire class.

Whew!

Thankyou all for your enduring patience and willingness to stay engaged through the chat when our technological difficulties arose....

and to be honest, that is one of the purposes of the seminar. To recognize the limitation of current technology and use it to its best advantage to enhance the teaching/learning exchange. The last 45 minutes seem to be glitch free with a number of very interesting points that were brought up. Thankyou for your participation.

I just watched me.... I was acutely aware of missing seeing you.
Needs balance... why do you want to look at me nodding while someone else is making a good point.... well, not all the time.
I also am reminded constantly that this medium really requires a team to deliver it.

In reading the chat, I became aware of the parallel experience going on beneath our video audio exchange.
and much of it was instructive, valuable to others and connected with our theme. I thank you for that. The chat resource can be just that when the posts are formulated as useful to all..... and Sylvia was ablt to give her attention to it which I could not do.

I believe an ideal team number is three. One more person just to be in charge of button pushing, mics, videos, tech glitches. There will still be challenges but some would be minimised.

Another aspect of using video is the degree that anyone feels comfortable with video exposure. The self-consciousness factor presents a hurdle for some of us. If that is you consider this... everyone you know has seen you and most of them are OK with who you are. The only difference is, you get to see you too! and its a bit of a shock but everyone gets over that.

Dust off your webcams, test your mics do your hair, get the lighting right in advance, silence the kids, dog, telephone spouse....and relax....... Explore the technology by recording and putting your video up, then you will be experienced for the next webinar on tuesday which is going to be on a different platform.... Eluminate.

Get your intro going.