Posts made by Paddy Fahrni

Hi Chris,
RE - the definition of informal learning. I'm just writing a little blurb and share this info on earlier definitions - may or may not be useful here:

"I began being interested in adult learning groups and informal learning at the turn of the century. In 1998, the National Research Network on New Approaches to Lifelong Learning (NALL) released the first Canadian survey of informal learning practice, and NALL director D.W. Livingstone provided a working definition of informal learning as follows:

Informal learning is any activity involving the pursuit of understanding, knowledge or skill which occurs outside the curricula of institutions providing educational programs, courses or workshops. Informal learning may occur in any context outside institutional curricula. It is distinguished from everyday perceptions and general socialization by peoples' own conscious identification of the activity as significant learning. The basic terms of informal learning (objectives, content, means and processes of acquisition, duration, evaluation of outcomes, applications) are determined by the individuals and groups who choose to engage in it, without the presence of an institutionally-authorized instructor. (Livingstone, 1998)

Others also define informal learning in contrast to formal learning. Informal learning takes place not in "school-like settings" but in “daily life and work”(Russell & Ginsburg, 1999). Sawchuk (2003) contrasts it to formal learning that is state-operated and credentialized: “Informal learning does not centre around a structured classroom or credentials. It is composed of self-directed or collectively directed learning projects.” (p.638). So informal learning is largely defined by what it is not – not in a classroom, not through institutionalized curricula, not with institutionally-authorized instructors, not structured, and not credentialized. The contrast to formal learning is an important starting point of definition, but the more important defining element of informal learning is learner autonomy: the terms of learning being determined "by the individuals and groups who choose to engage in it"(Livingstone, 1998); and its composition as "self-directed or collectively directed learning projects.”(Sawchuk, 2002)."

These are earlier definitions and I think that by now it's less useful to separate formal and informal learning - (just as we no longer divide classroom learning and online learning). However, I would still suggest that a main element of informal learning is learner autonomy. If this is so, then what does the learner say constitutes evaluation?
PF

PS-No dogs to walk for me - just two cats who won't...
Hello there, and thanks for your patience with my coming in late.
I'm a little farther from formal structures than the rest of you - my interest is in adult learning groups in the community, civic learning, etc. I first studied use of tech in informal learning through grad studies at the Centre for Distance Ed at Athabasca - working with a grass roots advocacy group. Much of my work has been re the settlement needs of adult immigrants - both college teaching, course design experience, program admin, and work at the non-profit org MOSAIC as well as community advocacy.
Thanks!
PF