Posts made by Jeffrey Keefer

Nellie, these two videos were quite interesting; thank you for sharing them.

Two reactions I had from these:
  1. I recall taking a Life History class where we were asked to draw a picture of our experience of learning up to that point. I was so terrified of the experience because I could not understand the question, that I just froze. I could envision having a similar experience when facing the complexity of the human (or my) experience (as mentioned in one of the findings).
  2. I disagreed with his Finding #5, that "Identity theories are common currency." As one of the postmodern advocates who is dismissed in the video, I cannot conceive of having such a simplistic theme as he listed in his findings. Granted, this may be an over-simplification of his work, though what he showed with #5 did not make much sense in light of my experiences.
I really need to use YouTube more for some of my work, though I just don't think of videos when I consider research. Wonder if that is why I do not watch much tv?

Jeffrey
Janet, thank you for getting us started with the "content," here, if you will.

When I read your verbiage above, I immediately thought how complicated all this is, especially when I tend to consider some of these concepts much more simply. Perhaps that is because I have not spent the time to realize the nuances and complexities inherent in this growing area of academic concern. Perhaps it is because I find that the more I try to define concepts I use, the more I realize how frustratingly simple it can seem until I am forced to put ink to paper, so to speak.

However, I did find the language you used a bit (searching for words to express my perception) clinical and academically intense. For example, when you defined online interviews in real time, you stated: "Scholarly interviews conducted via rich media synchronous Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs)." I had to read this a few times to get it, until I finally said (in that little voice in my head) "using questions to get information from another person over the Internet at the same time."

I do not think I could try my hand at the Rich Media Theory definition -- I am not quite sure what is going on with that one.

One thing is for sure, I need to read Chapter 1 ASAP!!
Ahmad-

Sounds like some interesting work lies ahead for you. In my spare time I teach a bit of management communication, and have always had an interest in formal business and management studies.

Question about your research design -- what is leading you to do a phenomenological study of this population?

Jeffrey