Posts made by Jeffrey Keefer

Jo Ann-

I find that I tend to do a lot of posts and otherwise catch-up with participation in large chunks, and then a move on to other tasks. Now, after a few days of working on my own research, I am now able to come back to our work here and reply / offer some thoughts, especially now that there have been a lot of responses to everything that seems to be happening.

I like your questions, which are certainly among the ones that seem to captivate many of us here in this session. Regarding the one about technology, I think some of the interesting tension occurs when we explore how technologies allow us to do what we have always done, but do it in a new way (such as online interviewing rather than only face-to-face). The flip is when we use technologies to do entirely new things that we never considered doing before (such as having an asynchronous workshop here).

Jeffrey

Ahmad, welcome to the world of organizational research!

I have never really considered the study of management to be an interdisciplinary endeavor; will have to think about that one a bit. While I know that the fields you listed all contribute to management studies, my experience has been that those fields influence management theorists, who then take these various approaches to studying the human condition and then internalize them in ways that the original fields may not quite recognize. If the interdisciplinary approach is the one you are taking to your studies, then that may help you to be more well-rounded and thus able to see some of the organizational complexities that exist in your (and every) organization.

For a phenomenological study, where you will focus on the phenomenon as experienced and understood by your population, you may need to remove (or bracket) yourself from the study itself (depending, of course, on which theorist you are following). While this was an interesting methodological approach for me, the more I explored qualitative inquiry, the more I found myself struggling to understand something that I (artificially) remove myself from. Nevertheless, hopefully you will get some useful ideas from the workshop here; Janet's book looks like a wonderful resource for the hows and whys of online interviewing.!

Jeffrey