Posts made by Jeffrey Keefer

Janet-

Your continuum is quite helpful; thank you for sharing it. The two versions in your text are quite an interesting distinction you make. Question about this; are you suggesting that if we make use of the more public material (in either chart), then we should make direct reference to the works (and thus identify the subjects)?

Thank you.

Jeffrey

To this same question, I am wondering if anybody has seen this issue not addressed in a paper or presentation, and the question about identity of the sample being raised by reviewers or attendees? It seems like such an obvious issue now that the question has been raised, though I wonder how many people raise it as a question (yet)?

Jeffrey

Janet-

I have loved this cartoon for years; I think it is humorous / honest on many levels.

I find that I try to corroborate something about the participants with some other manifestation of online identity. My research has thus far taken me to a lot of blogs and other evidence of social media, and when I make a call for participants, I often ask people who show some interest to tell me a little about themselves first.

However, to your question, I do tend to research people who already have a social presence or are recommended by others I know (as you mentioned in your text). I am not sure how I would do this with those who do not already have some form of public profile (and have not given this much thought, since that is not where my research is right now). Interested in seeing what people think about this.

Jeffrey