Posts made by Jeffrey Keefer

Janet-

This was a wonderful SCoPE session, and I am sorry it went so quickly. I enjoyed getting into your new text, and am glad I have it as another resource in this developing and constantly changing area.

I look forward to seeing you online again, and do let us know if you begin a blog or another vehicle with an RSS feed!

Thank you.

Jeffrey
Ahmad-

I want to caution against using Skype. I find there are Skype issues with interference and noise after about 20 or 30 minutes (using it from different computers and even with from different locations), and frequently find the service (including the paid version) causes me enough problems that it detracts from the interview, and I have been known to disconnect and call back with my cell phone (I know this can get pricy, but that is another issue).

However, for the sake of recording, I encourage you to consider something other than a Skype plug-in. If there is a Skype problem, then the Skype plug-in will also not work. I use an external recorder with an ear-piece, which I discussed on my blog last year http://silenceandvoice.com/archives/2009/08/10/interview-equipment-for-phone-and-distance-research/, as this flexibility allows me to use Skype, DimDim, or the phone, without any limitations for changing between modalities mid-stream.

Jeffrey

Janet-

Your musing here about terminology and how we communicate with terms that still are not universally shared and understood is quite interesting.

I wonder how long it will take before some of these concepts get solidified a bit more than they are now.

Jeffrey

Jo Ann-

I "saw" you in the session yesterday, though no opportunity to chat about it.

Chunking with social networking and this sort of exploration does work well on some levels, such as when I want to catch up on how a discussion has already started to develop. However, I find that I also do not have the sense of consistency or of development itself as an intergration into my week (life), and thus this sort of chunking with social media tends to leave the feeling of a task, rather than an ongoing experience.

Jeffrey