Posts made by Jeffrey Keefer

Ron, I really liked your concept that "knowledge is a precious object that requires control and careful dissemination."

This recalls some academic work I have done using the qualitative methodology autoethnography. I have done some writing that traces my worldview as transitioning from positivism to constructivism. I used to think that knowledge was that precious je ne sais quoi, that which is beyond interpretation and evident to people in similar ways if they try hard enough to gain it.

Looking back at that now, I am wondering if this is just not another way of protecting the views and interests of the majority, in whatever community or organization or group we are considering. In this case, knowledge, understood in only one established way, maintains the status quo.

George, I just received your book, and think the Lulu publishing format in addition to your wiki format of the book addresses those who have different learning styles. I know I prefer being able to carry a book around with me (not to mention to read on the subway or while traveling or while going away for the weekend) rather than to read online (or downloaded to a hand-held device) or to print out (since long PDFs are difficult to file and read while moving about).

Perhaps these different modalities speak to some of the chaotic approaches different people have toward engaging with information and creating knowledge. This seems in keeping with your work.