Posts made by Jeffrey Keefer

I highlighted some text, though did not see the notation in the margin. now I just have lighlighted text that I cannot seem to undo.

Tell me, Sylvia, how do you envision this tool being used to help manage multimembership, as opposed to being now just one more place to look and follow?

You know, I thought I was following this thread, but now seem a little lost.

How are people using blogs to manage information and rss feeds? I have the feeds I subscribe to listed on my blog, though it is more for reference than for doing anything with as the blog itself is too cumbersome to use in this way.

Nik, this is an interesting point. While I am an advocate of claiming one's online identity and pushing the boundaries of professional development, I have come to learn that, much to my surprise, many of my graduate and continuing education students do not blog (to such an extent, that many of them wonder why I advocate it so much). To get them started, I often recommend that they begin by discussing and processing what they are learning in class, and how they can envision using it in their work. While I see it as a step toward an online portfolio, I think this concept is still too new for many people.

For all our talk about the online teaching and learning opportunities, I am often surprised how great the gap is between those who actively engage in multimembership, and those who do not.

You know, Sylvia, I have tried coComment as well, though do not particularly care for it. I find that sometimes I click the browser button on the top of a page that I know has comments, though it does not appear to see them. It then invites me to start a discussion on the coComment site, but why would I want to do it there instead of on the blog or page itself?

I have had a lot better luck with co.mments. While this site has had some load issues at times, and while it is difficult to know who runs that site and how they make money, I find their site easier to use and its own RSS feed to be more straight-forward than either coComment or Commentful (which is also good, though their admin interface is rather difficult to navigate).

Thank you for sharing your Netvibes account, Nik. I have always found Netibes (and its competitor, Pageflakes) to be more promise than reward. I suppose I lose patience with the time it takes the pages to load, as each time the page loads it has to go to all the linked sites and gather the current data. One hiccup someplace in one of the links, and the whole site seems to stall.

I have tried to use it for an RSS feed, but I have not been able to find a way to have the read feeds vanish or otherwise get hidden, so the new ones do not immediately show up. How do you handle this?