Posts made by Julia Hengstler

From an Education perspective, I think a rubric might make more sense than, say an EPSS. Templates & courses could be provided & rated on the rubric as exemplars.

During my MA work I read up on ISD, ADDIE, etc., but don't recall design rubrics as such. Are there any that demonstrate a performance standard range ( I.e. Beginning, developing, capable, expert design)?

Though as I write this, I'm pondering how to scale the design's responsiveness to 4 key C's: context, content/curriculum, & client (learner/target audience) needs?
Is it different where the context & client needs are fairly stable so that you might be able to developed a basic institutional design rubric-- maybe with some sub-rubrics based on type of content ( behavioral, cognitive, etc.)? But then where does instructor's pedagogical approach figure?

Interesting to ponder.
That said, there is a rationale for some commonality of design across an institution's courses--to provide for ease of end-user experience. (I'm lurking--Julia Hengstler, Educational Technologist & Instructor, Faculty of Education, Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo, BC. Although, I'm not really lurking now, though. ;-) )
Working on a roll-out of Mahara www.mahara.org.

Some influences: low cost, open source, friendly user interface, flexibility of multiple presentations of content to meet program requirements & provide for end user creativity & alternate uses, broad user/development community, ability to build communities from within institution and external to the institution, ability to tag content, ability to export as a website, ability to support a range of artifacts/file types, having the tech expertise for install—luckily we had in-house expertise in terms of Brent Lee (mentioned in another thread in this Seminar)—and resourcing for tech support/training via my position in addition to the instruction/training via courses taught by the faculty.

Challenges: buying a server (done) to house content---a few IT hoops to jump through from an institutional perspective; training faculty; need to determine phases of roll-out; getting faculty to refer to assignments in terms of where/how they could be used in a portfolio as a common practice through every course; designing & developing the templates we want to create

Before Mahara--when I started with students this year-- I gave students a choice to present their portfolios as web page, using Moodle via a course shell we developed for eportfolios, via the LiveBinders site http://livebinders.com/ , Voice Thread http://voicethread.com or other tool/platform.