Posts made by Julia Hengstler

I didn't buy a Kindle, but can tell you, if I was hauling to the beach for reading--would rather sand got in my Kindle than in my iPad!

Think one of the best marketing strategies Amazon had with Kindle is having an app for computers, phones, iOS, etc.

What I personally don't like about Kindle is there is little consideration of privacy. My colleague's experience was when her husband logged on to her Kindle--she now had access to his archive. If you don't want people to know what you're reading, the only real way to deal with it is to have Kindle periodically kill your account. Kindle does not let you permanently delete content from your account--it lives in your Archive or your online Media archive. I actually talked to a tech at Amazon--if you can believe it--by phone last year. Told me the only way to delete my books was to delete the account. Apparently Amazon doesn't want to have to reload books people delete then want to have back. :-s

Interesting. Are you color blind or color empaired? 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women have difficulty distinguishing color (See Color Uncovered "Don't Let the Dog Drive").

Wonder if there's a correlation between color perception issues and preferences for black/white text. Theoretically, in my instructional design courses, I was taught it was because of the high contrast....also was taught that e-text should be sans-serif for easiest reading.

Julia

I think that the ColorUncovered is like having a dog. Anyone can have one--but can yours guard the house, fetch a ball, bring you the paper? I think that ColorUncovered is like a trained stunt dog compared to what I've read or seen in iBooks, my Kindle, Stanza, etc.

Hi. Julia Hengstler here--Educational Technologist at Vancouver Is. University's Faculty of Education.

One of my absolute favourite e-pubs is an app book from exploratorium called Color Uncovered. It's free.  If you have an ipad and haven't downloaded it I urge you to do so.Great graphics integration, great layout and design & interactive elements for the audience.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/downloads/coloruncovered/

Nick, Ouch! I think that was a bit harsh re. Bill's perspective. Honestly, to use your analogy, where would we be as humans if we didn't automate certain procedures. For example, imagine if you had to think through the process every time you made a step--you'd still be in your training shoes. Of course, go on rough terrain & you start thinking about your every step. Maybe the question of automation becomes a personal one--the things we do without thinking about it because it's become second nature. It reminds me a bit of Malcolm Gladwell's blink. If you haven't read it, it's an amazing look at something called "thin slicing" by experts.
That said, I've frequently said re. working with younger students & my own children, B.F. Skinner is my friend!
Julia
Julia