Posts made by Julia Hengstler

Thanks, Michele. They must have listened to feedback, because the released version actually highlights the selected items--so far in yellow. I haven't checked to see if that can be changed. I'll check out the others you've mentioned as well. I think that checking back--collectively like this is a bonus--is critical as software develops and it's hard for individuals to keep up with all the changes!
J
Deidre,
I would add to that list a new tool i-Lighter (http://www.i-lighter.com). I was just emailed a link and am playing with it now. It looks handy--and you can share your i-lighted materials with others--post to blogs, email it, etc. I'm not sure re. its status--bound for freedom or commerce--but it is interesting.
Julia
I've been lurking---until now. Prior to MS purchasing Groove, I used it in Beta around 2002 as a platform to collaborate on a M.A. thesis. My partner and I loved it--although there were some glitches at the time. We allowed professionals in the field to come in an comment/review our work in process--as well as our advisors, of course. We had sections that were only accessible to my partner and I as well. The application was highly customizable and had a great deal of functionality. Unfortunately, like much freeware (as opposed to free software), after leveraging the initial user community to work out the bugs--the software went commercial and required licensing fees, etc. Our use was no longer supported without payment. It was subsequently bought-out by MS.

My advice when selecting platforms for PLE or any other use--if you want "free" software, beware the lure as a marketing test-bed that later forces you to purchase licenses. If you want applications that will remain free to you, I would suggest looking at materials licensed as Free Software or Open Source under terms such as the Free Software Foundation's General Public License. Then you can be assured of future access. Otherwise, if you are content with commercial applications--buy licenses and upgrade at will.

Julia
Sorry, Bruno.
No disrespect to your post was intended. In your encapsulated definition, I didn't think that your post really reflected the ethical/political passion behind Stallman and his development of the Free Software Movement--which is one of the key separations between the Free Software and the Open Source Movments: for Stallman, GNU and the proponents of Free Software--as opposed to open source--it is a truly ethical and political battle/war against proprietary software of any type as opposed to the more symbiotic nature of the open source/proprietary-commercial interests.
Julia
Therese,
I hope that I don't come out as strongly as Stallman does--he's an all or nothing type of guy and he ONLY runs free software (freely available source code) on his computer. He's the first person that I've ever met that uses the word "evil" and means just that--using it in relation to proprietary software. But, hey, he's the leader of the Free Software Movement and is passionate about his cause.

I think that there's a place for each type of software, but as the Unix Wars, Lisp Wars and burgeoning GPL Wars have shown, that co-existence can be anything but peaceful--especially when market domination is an imperative. In the Unix Wars ,AT&T and it's partners sought the lion's share, in the Lisp Wars it was Symbolics, with educational learning platforms--some call them VLEs (virtual learning environments)--the Blackboard/WebCT conglomerate is exhibiting many of the AT&T and Symbolics behaviours.
Julia