Posts made by Julia Hengstler

Hmm--all this chat about what constitutes a "badge" reminds me of the discussions re, what constitutes a "learning object". It's a discussion of granularity. Can badges accrue to a larger item--like a certificate, diploma, standing? Can micro-badges accrue to badges? Reminds me of whether an educational image was a "learning object" or whether it had to be bigger.

Julia

I don't think you should be able to have a badge expire. You learned it at the time and met the criteria. If the criteria change--that's a different badge & I think you'd need to earn that one.

I'm not sure how I feel about revoking, but believe it might be necessary if the person contravenes what the badge stood for. For example, if someone earned a badge for digital professionalism, then did something completely unprofessional in a digital environment that got back to the issuer, I think the issuer might need to have the power to revoke in order to maintain credibility.

Also, what if a system got hacked and badges were issued that needed to be revoked later?

Julia