Posts made by E.A. Draffan

I could not agree more - how do we deal with the issue where for example - the main threads of a forum are on Blackboard but because they are so badly laid out and subject lines are poor, the students use the forum as a pseudo communication platform knowing they are marked on their performance? So there is much cutting and pasting or retyping when the actual discussions are happening on Facebook, MSN and Skype because they are so much easier to use and can cope with a synchronous discussion. Just one example of many platforms being used between a project group to negotiate an outcome on one organisation's VLE that can then be assessed!
I have been lurking as well and it has been very interesting to read about the issues concerning which platform or what technologies to use. From my field of expertise in accessibility and assistive technology - it would be wonderful if one could think of it as a car and make personal choices that suit user preferences but the outcomes are that one travels along the same road smile
Hi there Emma! I am so sorry I have been lurking as I know I will never get a video made this week sadly. I am off to Holland for a few days so panicking about work! I just wanted to say that Jane Hart's site is amazing for all sorts of useful tools linked to e-learning. Her pick of the day is also incredibly useful. I hope you will forgive me for just listening in - all the updates on the technologies everyone is using are fantastic! Best wishes...
I found this list fascinating to compare with the list of assistive technologies (in the widest sense) that we are making linked to the students' strategies as part of the LexDis project - we hope to keep building this list over the coming year. Twitter is not something they seem to mention and wikis are only used when tutors ask for collaborative work and set one up. Whereas Google docs have been used by students without staff help as have the Facebook forums which are seen as being much easier when compared to Blackboard. I really must add some of the items you mention to Web2Access! smile