Posts made by Karen Baker

I had not thought about my name, identity, reputation and actions as possessions perhaps because there can be outside forces which can encroach upon three of the four.  There may be others with the same name In fact I discovered there are four other Karen Bakers in my metro area for whom I have been mistaken.   I've been a victim of identity theft on two occasions, and reputation can be ruined by others.  I think only my actions I truly own because I am the "maker" of them.

Greetings to all:

I am Karen Parrish Baker, associate professor of adult and higher education leadership which is a masters degree program at Morehead State University in KY (U.S.A.).   Previously an academic counselor and academic support program director at other colleges, I transitioned into full-time teaching.  What I own, by myself, is about the same as Sylvia without the IPOD or computer but with a TREO phone and a newly gifted satellite radio.  My employer provides a PC Tablet since I teach online often.  I think I also retain rights to my doctoral dissertation since I receive about $16 USD per year in royalties whenever people purchase copies from OhioLink.

The topic of intellectual property is relevant to me as a researcher/ writer but also in trying to share resources with my distance education students.  Where is the line when providing hyperlinks (which can be changed or dropped at any time) to copyrighted materials for educational purposes?  Inquiring minds need to know!

This is my first experience with this type of online community.  I have been a lurking consumer for quite a while (apparently for over 120 days since I last signed on) overwhelmed by the sheer volume associated with becoming a member.  In fact, as an education faculty member, I could not keep up during the school year.  Now summer in the USA, I have had a chance to review my backlog and been impressed with the intelligent, thought-provoking, informative, and helpful interaction and resources provided.  You are opening a whole new world to me to think about my own PLE particularly regarding the ever-growing technological terminology, tools and tips for us who teach adults online and F2F.   thoughtful Thank you