Posts made by Susan Alcorn MacKay

Janie so nice to see 'see' you again in such a forum. You modestly gave your background but what many of you who have not been in disability services for the last decade don't know is that Janie is one of the architects of postsecondary disability service - identification of same, set up, evaluation and now, it seems, lets move on to a new platform! On line learning wasn't even a thought 15 years ago!

So I'm not surprised you've moved on (or back to) the essential question that has been concerning us for some time - how to create a truly accessible environment, accessible to every student - past the 'ramp'.

I would like to think we've made some progress since the early days to the point that on-line learning (though ways in are of course critical) is designed to be truly inclusive.

Universal instructional design is about more than access what the 'professor' presents but more about making access to knowledge meaningful on different levels. Now, if we can just merge the two!!

susan

Wow, what a varied gang of people on this. My name is Susan Alcorn MacKay and I've been the director of disability services at the Glenn Crombie Centre at Cambrian College in Sudbury, Ontario. We have about 700 students with disabilities annually. Nice to see so many people I know on this webinar! I'm interested in all ascpect of access to learning for persons with all disabilities. We currently have a student who is using her eyes as the mouse to access the computer for self-directed learning and access to the Internet - she is so proficient that she can access anything she needs with only her eyes.

I'm interested in WebCT/Blackboard as a service provider and course developer, and course taker.

A big topic that would make everything more intuitive would be if everyone used the principles of Universal Instructional Design in planning their course work and implementation..

:) susan

Janie so nice to see 'see' you again in such a forum. You modestly gave your background but what many of you who have not been in disability services for the last decade don't know is that Janie is one of the architects of postsecondary disability service - identification of same, set up, evaluation and now, it seems, lets move on to a new platform! On line learning wasn't even a thought 15 years ago!

So I'm not surprised you've moved on (or back to) the essential question that has been concerning us for some time - how to create a truly accessible environment, accessible to every student - past the 'ramp'.

I would like to think we've made some progress since the early days to the point that on-line learning (though ways in are of course critical) is designed to be truly inclusive.

Universal instructional design is about more than access what the 'professor' presents but more about making access to knowledge meaningful on different levels. Now, if we can just merge the two!!

susan

Wow, what a varied gang of people on this. My name is Susan Alcorn MacKay and I've been the director of disability services at the Glenn Crombie Centre at Cambrian College in Sudbury, Ontario. We have about 700 students with disabilities annually. Nice to see so many people I know on this webinar! I'm interested in all ascpect of access to learning for persons with all disabilities. We currently have a student who is using her eyes as the mouse to access the computer for self-directed learning and access to the Internet - she is so proficient that she can access anything she needs with only her eyes.

I'm interested in WebCT/Blackboard as a service provider and course developer, and course taker.

A big topic that would make everything more intuitive would be if everyone used the principles of Universal Instructional Design in planning their course work and implementation..

:) susan