Posts made by Nalin Abeysekera

I think it is better to understand the contextual factors also. In sri lanka specially in higher education system mostly handled by the government sector.(University system).It means if you passed advance level (only 14% who passed the advance level goes to these universities)…you can go to government university. Only small number of private universities are approved by the university grant commission.(apex body in university system)….because of that there is a potential market for e-Learning in the education industry. But still awareness level is law…I think it is better to do small survey on awareness level of the people on that…this is better place to invest too…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Derek,I also agree with you. In Sri Lanka literacy rate is 90%.but because of the problem of the resources (only 14 universities operating throughout the island) only 14% of the advanced level students will go to the University. Remaining 86% do have problems. some select professional courses while affluent will go for foreign universities. Once foreign universities try to establish under Sri Lankan university system then politics comes in to play. they argue that this will affect to the free education(in which  our country up to advance level students can have total free education).but these people don’t know (or know) that well to do people will go to foreign education and this will affect to so called “middle income category”. I think this scenario unique to the developing countries (but I wonder about our higher literacy rate-it is exceptional!).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I always think human factor affect lot. Though there is an argument of lack of resources and infrastructure we should concern about utilization of resources. For that I think there is a need of good leadership. In our countries ADB and some donators always help for the development of e-Learning. But once they did their job we have to discuss about the sustainability of that project too. thats why  I am thinking at least two three years they should work with locals and should understand the best outfit too..

Yes there are some barriers,

1.       Lack of resources-Computers to experts

2.       Problem with the infrastructure..(now I am using my dial-up connection at home…if I want to attach some thing then I will take minutes, some times suddenly it will goes down…mean time I have to pay “per minute basis”

3.       No proper direction-

4.       Low awareness level of eLearning

5.       Political factors-some time might be number one in the priority list)

Hi Julia!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think you are the most wanted person for this seminar. Coordinating is a tough task. I am coordinating the level 6 (final year) of the Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) at Open University of Sri Lanka. These days we have to finalize the convocation list. As you said beyond our human capacity…!!!! I totally agree with you…..I think this is same for every one in this world!!!!!  No matter where you are….But this is only applicable for the people who are working hard….!!!!! It is a challenge!!!!!! Any way your experience and contribution to this seminar will add value…. ……

Keep in touch. Thank you…..

It is sensational…….children are our future….again I think we should concern about awareness level….for that I think we can have some awareness programs via internet as well as face to face .In Sri Lanka there are about 9000 schools. But according to my knowledge pupils don’t have the awareness of this kind of stuff. As elders we should take them to that destination. I think we can have,

1.       Awareness programs –with the collaboration of certain schools, authorities

2.       News letters-

3.       Quizzes-if students answer the some prizes-(as a method of sales promotion)

4.       Awareness program for teachers-this should come as top priority

5.       Using celebrities….to induce students……

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />