Posts made by Janine Hirtz

I like the graphic logo, visuals and colors and should be able to incorporate this into poster! Can we get confirmation on the url so I can add that too. Will try for new screen shots. I am looking into the deadline to print the poster and will have news soon! See you at ETUG Sylvia : )

I will provide the revised poster - hopefully tomorrow or thursday...

Janine
Hello team,

I have attached a draft of the poster for our presentation at STLHE. Please feel free to mark it up - make suggestions, check your logos....

I also think I saw an email message that you might get started on the poster Sylvia, (sorry if I jumped the gun and if you have something in mind please send it along). I was concerned that I wasn't doing much and you have been doing so much of the work so far! : )

Thanks for your feedback! (we also have a printer that can print up this 3x4 sized poster and we will have it laminated as well).

May 18, 2011

Notes regarding site:

1.  Account approval- me request still has not been processed : )

2.  Home page: Some logo (theme & colors *EDC)?

Heather to provide introduction message

Sylvia suggested to add visual map (sample) – I like this idea

3.  Suggestion for entry window:

I think it is important to have options in the entry window (home) that guide the user in a structured way through the process:

#1 - They should be able to use a search tool (*search needs to be fixed) or something similar to search and see if there are any existing projects related to their interests or any existing / current discussions of similar ideas. If not, they can post an idea and get feedback in a discussion tool (without needing to create a group first). Linked to this process, members should have access to member profiles where members can list their research interests and completed projects etc… (If they are currently engaged in a project – perhaps they are identified by a change in ‘color’ as a status indicator of this activity - another great idea by Sylvia!). 

In this area users should be able to engage with potential collaborators to explore whether or not they will proceed with the research project. 

4.  Once the members decide or commit to proceeding, they can create a working ‘group’. In this working group, they should be able to use discussions or forums (I don’t think ‘blog’ is the right concept here) – although subscribing to the forum is helpful and efficient. Blog gives a sense of authoring and comments vs. discussion. The calendar may also be a useful tool especially with the iCal functionality.

5. The case tracker seems to have too many layers and we may wish to change some of the labels. I am confused that there is a ‘group’ then a project, then a case and the projects keep the cases organized… 

6. The notebook is a great concept and should help in documenting the project . 

7. Need to check / test that the completed tasks are archived for future reference. Also not sure about the labels here – case / task? 

8. Not sure about the shoutbox (when I came back to the portal tonight, it showed that I had 1 unread message here from my test with Sylvia; but I am concerned as Sylvia pointed out that important messages posted here may get overlooked). Not sure if we need this tool.

9. I like the user interface - it seems quite friendly. The ? help notes are good (I haven't checked to ensure that they exist everywhere) and also the video tutorials will be very helpful to first time users.

Lastly, I know we had a short discussion about the benefits of 'open' vs. membership; and I like the idea of open, particularly when people are in the exploratory stages or just wanting to read 'results'. I think we may need to allow users to set restrictions if they feel it is important at the project/case levels.

Hopefully this makes some sense! Thanks everyone, Janine

No problem Sylvia, Heather found the link in her email and sent to me; so I took a peek yesterday (and a couple screenshots for the poster). I will do some more exploring and testing per your request :) It looks quite user friendly!

I have time tomorrow afternoon, should we try for 1:30? I'll see if I can get Heather and Peter in too - don't know what their schedules are like. j

PS - do you have a phone number? I tried one that was on one of your emails, but I couldn't seem to connect.
Hi all,

I have started the poster design and am looking for some screenshots and a little more detail. Sylvia - do you have a login for us to check it out? Also, tried to call you; but I don't know if I have the right number. (If I missed the post with login info, my apologies...) Thanks, Janine