Posts made by Emma Duke-Williams

It was pretty jerky on my Mac too ... I'd not have said it was that old ( c. 18 months ) but I guess in hardware terms it probably is!

Actually, it seemed far less jerky in Firefox 3.6.11 than it did in Chrome 7.0.517.41 on my Mac mini ( 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4GB ram / Mac OS X 10.6.4) but, maybe that's because I used firefox second; perhaps I wasn't expecting too much speed!

(Yes, I had closed other stuff before starting either)

Heidi Piltz wrote,

Our school district has a certain level of filtering district-wide, so that theoretically, students will not be able to access certain undesirable websites.

Guess it depends if you get the wifi only ones (which would be on the local network, so have just the same filtering as anything else in the school) or 3G ones - which wouldn't. But I don't imagine many schools would want to pay the 3G connection charges!

I'm not sure I can answer that, however, I wonder if a better pair of questions might be:

Can we build a universal environment maintaining connection and credibility between the learning environment in colleges and universities and that of the work world?

AND

How does the iPad compare to other tools in terms of appropriateness etc, for the delivery of this?

My gut feeling is that the hard part of the question to answer is the first one - if we've identified a universal environment where connection & credibility can be maintained, then - what's the best way to interact with it. (and, I'm guessing that the ideal would be a system that works with a range of hardware so that students can use the hardware they like best/they can afford/their work place supplies/ etc.
Yes, I'd noticed that & wondered if I'd missed something on the install (Mac), so I stopped it running at start up.
From what I could tell, it seems to be like Skype wants to be - online in case you get called.

I agree with you that it's preferable to have control over what runs from start up - in this case it could be a privacy issue, in other cases it could be not wanting to overload ancient computers (I also don't like programmes that, when I'm using Windows, insist on putting a shortcut on the desktop. I don't like clutter there!)