Posts made by Deirdre Bonnycastle

I encourage faculty to do anonymous opinion polls with clickers at the beginning of class about the upcoming topic and then do it again at the end of the session to see if opinions have changed. This is particularly useful in medicine with concepts like professionalism and advocacy where opinions can vary quite widely but no one openly discusses the variations. A poll like this raises the attention level so that's a bonus.

We also use clicker case studies quite effectively in large classrooms because you can capture both the facts, "What test would you use?" and analyzing "What is the most frequently missed possible differential diagnosis for this patient?" As you mentioned, the analysing question can lead to some good discussion about why that diagnosis is overlooked.

You're right picking the question at the right level seems to be the key and I like the idea of techniques for improving student generated questions. One of our faculty at the end of each session asks, "What would make a good exam question to assess today's session?" Another asks students to place questions in a jar about next week's topic. I think students like faculty need to learn how to ask higher level questions.
Hello from the College of Medicine, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm interested in a couple of things:smile
  1. clickers, our faculty use clickers a lot and are about to embark on a project where clickers will be used between two large classrooms 300kms apart during videoconferencing. I would like to see more thinking and less remembering in the way we use clickers.
  2. the use of questions to improve collaborative reflection
  3. the idea of a visual and representative end-point.
The problem with all the bookmarking sites is just how many links there are unless you focus your topic. My Delicious site about Active Learning has 1700+ links, my Diigo only 400+ because I've been more focused on the type of information I collect there.

SCoPE covers so many topics that a SCoPE bookmarking site could quickly become enormous.