Posts made by Deirdre Bonnycastle

You have caught a common error in lay person's reading of educational theorists:
  1. Constructivism - Piaget argues that humans construct knowledge through their interactions with their environments including other people and ideas.
  2. Constructionism - Seymour Papert (the major theorist) claims learning occurs through the process of making tangible objects in the real world.

The primary design criteria for my course were: Content should

• follow the RCPSC (licensing body) generic enabling competency format so organization and assessment is competency based
  • be grouped into short pieces (20min) easily accessed on mobile devices and IPad in a busy hospital
  • require residents to reflect on current and future practices in light of what they are learning in the module
  • demonstrate real world examples of individual and community health advocacy that can be accessed online with preference given to Saskatchewan examples.
The other piece that may not be obvious is, this is individual learning. There is no group or specific start/stop times because it is competency based but it is required to be completed sometime in first year of residency.

I started building it in Blackboard 9, but switched to PBWorks because I prefer its editor.
I am currently designing a series of courses for medical residents to use while participating in busy hospital schedules. Our assumption is most residents will access the course on mobile devices, so it creates some interesting limitations such as:
  1. content needs to be in 15 minute chunks
  2. videos need to be on UTube
  3. screen size for tables needs to be thought through.
I originally started creating the courses in Blackboard but hated the editor so much I switched to PBwiki.
I work occasionally in a location where UTube and Blogs are banned because someone decided they would "waste time". Every time I am there I bang my head because great resources aren't available.

Why not put out a challenge to the UTubers, "Find me a resource for this class" I'll bet you will be impressed with what surfaces and it's a great opportunity for them to increase their literacy about what is available beyond entertainment.